Inertia Seatbelt Stuck Audi S4

Sulli

Reaction score
My rear middle seatbelt is stuck on my S4. I had to flat the seats down to get a big TV in, the inertia seatbelt in the middle retracted and won't now release, meaning my rear seat won't close back up leaving my boot exposed!

I can't seem to access the inertia reel which is within the seatback, or the base which is under the seat.

I know the seatbelt has a function that after fully opening it it has to go back to fully retracted to release again, but it can't retract anymore and still won't open.

I'm stuck and so is my seat - help :think:

right.... ive had this at work a few times.
theres a cable within the seat back that connects to reel and the seat release pull (to fold the seat down and back up) this cable is faulty or has come off within the seat back.
the way around this is to somehow get to the 17mm nut that bolts the other end of the belt to the floor pan. unbolt this so it is free... put the seat back as normal and the belt reel will now be at the right angle to allow it to pull out as normal.... bolt it back on.

the next time you need to fold the seat down.... remember to pull sufficient seat belt slack out and clip it somehow so it cant reel in as you fold the seat down.... to allow you to put the seat back up without the belt causing you problems reeling in by itself and locking up.

Thanks for that. I have located the bolt that holds the bottom end of the seatbelt, under the seat. It is tricky to get to and to get an angle so the socket gets some purchase. is it definately a 17mm? Is there any way to remove the bottom section of the seat?
Just spent half an hour holding the seat up as far as it will go with my back, whilst trying to locate the socket, with no joy.
Cheers

Update - persevered and angled the socket bar down to get the right angle and removed it! Thanks for the tip :)
Now to refit it - see you in a few hours......

Last edited:
Hello mate, yes I did thanks to your help - much appreciated.

Once I had got the seatbelt base out by undoing the bolt (which was very tricky) I could move the seat back - once there the seatbelt retracts so it sounds like your diagnosis was correct - the seatbelt will only retract properly when the seat is locked back into place.
I pulled out the belt and wrapped it around the headrests so it would retract whilst refitting the base and bolting it back in. I tried to do this with the seat base in situ but could get the angle right on the bolt with the socket poking in between the seat base and back so I just removed the seat base which is retained by a couple of push in clips toward the front and retained at the back by slotting under the seat back. Once that was off I bolted the belt back in, refitted the seat base and job done.

I think all in a couple of hours - could probably do it much quicker a second time, but don't fancy it - a b1tch of a job if ever there was one.

Guys,

I've had the same probem but whilst I was re-fitting the seat belt bolt, i've threaded it and need a new one.

Does anyone know the part number or where I can get one?

Ben