Guide for cleaning EGR on a 1.9 TDI....

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
....is there one?

I have done a search and did find a guide of sorts but it does not seem to be specific to the 1.9 and looks a little different.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: iucle
What makes you think you need to clean the EGR out?

The reason i ask is because i have a 2.0L TDI 140 A3 and sometimes it idles spot on and then others it misses and is very lumpy, i have been told that it could be the EGR valve sticking, are you having this sort of issue?

What makes you think you need to clean the EGR out?

The reason i ask is because i have a 2.0L TDI 140 A3 and sometimes it idles spot on and then others it misses and is very lumpy, i have been told that it could be the EGR valve sticking, are you having this sort of issue?

It's just next on the list for maintenance

If you ever need a guide like this then it's always worth looking in the DIY Guides sticky. You might be surprised what's in there!

If it's not in there then there is an opportunity for you to be an author, and to give something back to the forum community ;)

Does anybody have the part number for the gasket so that I can replace it (not listed on the part numbers thread)?

Does anybody have the part number for the gasket so that I can replace it (not listed on the part numbers thread)?

EGR Rubber 'O' Ring seal - SN90927302 - £4.04 at TPS.
EGR Gasket - 069131547D - £2.41 at TPS.

I've just done my EGR today, i started off doing the front brake pads and was then intending on doing my B5 spring perches which have been sat in my draw for 9 months !!! we got the pads done then looked into what was involved in replacing B6 with B5 perches and took a deep breath and decided its a garage job.

Anyhow the upside was since i had a free afternoon as i'd done my DIY on saturday ( as the misses had given me my weekend job list ) me and my dad attacked the EGR........Now can i start by saying for all those that ( like me ) read up about this and then thought i can do that...................well YES you can BUT be WARNED its a VERY mucky job to do and the bolt on the bottom that holds the EGR on when you've got the top two off is an F___IN RIGHT PAIN TO GET OUT, it took us 45 minutes to get this one bolt out.

Once you've removed pipe after pipe and bolt after bolt the hole thing comes off and YES it will be more gunked up than an 40 a day 50 year old smokers lungs!!!!

It took me over 30 mins to clean off the hard baked on muck and soot stuff, as for performance difference i've done 10 miles since doing it and it seems the same, not sure whether MPG will be any better or not but now i've done it and whilst sat here looking @ my still quite Black gunked up hands i'd say yes its well worth doing...............

I'll second the mucky bit ..... did mine about a month ago and it's a filthy job, I found it easier to take the whole lot off with the inlet manifold which i also cleaned and strip it on the bench ..... i used oven cleaner and a jetwash to clean it all then when all back together i disabled the EGR from opperating by removing the VAC hose and plugging it,,,,, no need for a blanking plate if the valve dosn't open is there..