New to Forum. Suspension Advice on our Audi 1.9tdi SE130 Avant.

Ianb

Reaction score
New to this forum but not to 'upgrading' my current/previous cars.

I'd like some oppinion/advice on sorting out the suspension on our A4. It's a blach 53 plated B6 car with fully coloured coded lower valence /silver roof rails etc on Audi Sportline17" alloys.
Car benefits from some nice extras and even at this mileage we get between 42-45mpg on the motorway.

It's done 155k and is in my oppinion one of the best cars family we have ever owned amongst lots of other newer / different marques cars owned previously.
One of things bugging me is ride height. Usual rule of thumb at this mileage is change the lot which I don't fall out with but it's such a comfortable ride therefore I'd like something that's S Line height so I'm not interested in coilovers. I still want comfort but not too harsher ride.

Question is can I get away with a set of springs and which provide the best comfort...Eibach / H&R / Audi Sportline.

I suppose you cannot get 2nd hand Sportline kit?

If I can get away with just springs I will unless there's a decent cheaper alternative of spring/damper set up. Wondered if you can get a Sachs/Eibach set up on a budget....I don't want cheap / poor quality which will compromise the car.

I bought a set of Eibach Pro springs for my SE - £180 I think - they dropped it 30mm and transformed it, and there's no noticeable difference in ride quality. Whilst the suspension is in bits, after 150k it won't be an easy job, it's worth changing the shocks if you can. That said, I didn't and have had no problems yet and it's been six months.

I bought a set of Eibach Pro springs for my SE - £180 I think - they dropped it 30mm and transformed it, and there's no noticeable difference in ride quality. Whilst the suspension is in bits, after 150k it won't be an easy job, it's worth changing the shocks if you can. That said, I didn't and have had no problems yet and it's been six months.

Thanks for that...know what you mean re the dampers....I've heard some of the bolts can be a right pain to release as some seize.
Nothing is ever straight forward on a 2003 car....luckily my mate is a VAG mechanic.

I might look on the net for kits or ring Nathan at APS to see what he can suggest. I may just leave alone depends on cost.

It's the pinchbolts in the front suspension that are the nightmare. I bought mine from DPM Performance, they will price match too.

I've had H&R -35mm springs on the stock dampers,handling was alot better then stock imo.But it lost the comfort (take in mind i live in Belgium;))so after 4 years i have gone stock again and i already start to feel the body roll in the corners.
I think about -25mm is perfect for this car as a daily.And that's the audi sport height if i'm not mistaken.

Spoke with QST today and they have said the Eibach springs should be fine on a 30mm drop on OE shocks. They did say there many options on kits such as the HR damper spring set up was approx £600.

I may hold off as it's the missus bus and we do quite a few long journeys and she uses it for work the SE suspension is comfy but rolly polly. If the dampers are shot then I may bite the bullet and do the lot but depends on their condition as I may just chuck some Eibachs on it.

Must admit the B6 A4 is such a great well built car the newer model isn't on my list at the mo. If I replace it I will probably go for a 08 onwards TDI with LED'S maybe a 2.7tdi manual.