Bring me back down to earth please!

piemuncher

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just introduced myself in the other section!

I'm 21 years old and have currently got a a 2001 BMW 318ti SE Auto on LPG. Was my first 'big' car since I started working and have done 30,000 miles over the last 2 years in it. Around town its not actually great, it gets something like 22-24mpg which is offset by the cost of lpg. Something like £10 per 50-60 miles or so. On the motorway I get 33-38 mpg which on lpg translates to something like £10 per 95-100 miles.

I have a 600cc motorbike, so speed isn't everything to me (at least in my car) but the BMW is slow, doesn't change gear when I want it to and is now starting to feel 'tired' (at least to me).

I've always wanted a convertible (funny as I don't like drawing attention to myself). Don't want a BMW 3 coupe as they are literally everywhere and more and more chavvy people drive them, don't like the volvo C70, can't afford an Alfa (and don't want reliability issues).

I've started looking at A4 Cabriolets. Now I don't actually need one, this is purely a want thing if I can find the right one.

Whatever I get will be converted to LPG as it makes sense to me. Obviously at the age I'm looking at (2002-2006) there's the choice of 1.8t, 2.4 and 3.0.

I've discounted the 2.4 as looking at the figures it seems to be not much more pokey than the 1.8 and not much more economical than the 3.0 - Is this wrong?

In terms of real life town and motorway mpg what is the difference between the 1.8 and 3.0? My BMW 'book' says urban should be 28-30mpg but I get 22-24, without a heavy foot. I put this down soley to the rubbish gearbox but is it the same for the 1.8 & 3.0? I tend to do 2 thirds motorway, third town driving. My currently 2.0 BMW is fairly composed on the motorway (around 2.5k revs at 70), which one would be better for this?

Reading about the CVT gearbox seems like a no no. In the 3.0 much better is it made by a manual box and does it make a whole lot of difference with regards to mpg and performance?

Anything else I should look for?

Sorry for all the questions!

Piemuncher

Welcome to ASN. Enjoy the forum.

Welcome to the forum.
If you're thinking about LPG in your car, you should go for one of the V6.
Always avoid turbocharged engines when it comes to LPG install.
Especially with higher mileage cars when turbocharger is a bit tired you might finish it off because of higher temperature exhaust gasses.
You will need to fit proper injection lpg install with v6 not the one with mixer or you will be bored of putting you air box back in place every five minutes. It will also kill lambda sensors quickly and you will have running issues especially on idle.

Hi slepy, yes I'm going to go for a proper sequential LPG installation like the one on my current car, with its own ECU etc. My current car is a 4 pot and works just fine with the Lovato system so can't forsee any problems.

Thanks

Will

Yeap, Lovato or BRC will do the trick.

What sort of MPG figures could you expect (real world) for one of these?

I have a 2.4 V6 manual cab and I get about 24mpg ave if I drive normally, give it a bit of right foot and it's high teens ...the 2.4 isn't quick but it's fine for me, I didn't go for the 1.8t cos I don't like turbos. Engine choice aside the cab is a brilliant car and way way better looking than the Beemer which I think is like a pram ..... Heated seats rock this time of year too !

I agree about the look compared to the Beemer! I'm a little reluctant to get a 2.4 because apart from the V6 noise, its speed and economy are both worse than the 1.8... Granted a turbo is another thing to go wrong!

Ooo decisions...

the 1.8t are pretty robust lumps if there oils are changed very regular and also correct grade, the turbo shouldnt be a issue if its driven right and warmed up and cooled slightly before switching off from a run.....

my choice would be 1.8/2.0 turbo but the v6 would be a sweeeeet purr also