Performance Air Filters- do they do what it says on the packet?

GSCollie

Reaction score
Went to the North East VAG meet yesterday at Croft...... excellent day out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Talking to a couple of peolpe there they had gone and done the remap and S/S exhaust route with sports cats and then one mentioned using a performance air filter on his as well.

Now I have heard conflicting views on how good or bad these things are for the money, no real outright performance gains but better pick up / mid range etc etc ............ question is has anyone used or is using a K&N or other make performance filter on their car over the standard stock Audi one and does it make a difference. Would it really made a difference to a V8? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]

, no real outright performance gains but better pick up / mid range etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

i have found exactly that on twin turbo v6, NA v6, carb v8 help the driveability with increase responsiveness i'd recommend giving it a go i've never had any MAF problems either with 500-1000 miles a week with k&n since the late 1990's personal experience.

[ QUOTE ]
............ question is has anyone used or is using a K&N or other make performance filter on their car over the standard stock Audi one and does it make a difference. Would it really made a difference to a V8? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

k&n has been my favourite so far with its oiled guaze design rather than the sponge type oil coated filters, i haven't tried simple metal mesh type also available. i like stock replacement panel filters rather than induction kits at the mo car just seems more responsive and guzzle less fuel in traffic on the practical side.

I did a thorough bit of research on the internet ploughing through various forums. General opinion was that they don't really do much. Also a lot of people who have changed the filter have ended up with MAF problems.

There was one I considered by BMC but it was a complete kit change to a modified induction system. One of the guys on this forum sells them (richturboa3 I think).

alot of 1.8turbo users have started to use 'Green' air filters, or even carbonio CAI's

think the green one is very lightly oiled, less than k&n

i think they found no correlation between maf failiure and aftermarket filter, 1 in 30 failed, which is about the same, only forseable problem is heavily oiiled filters oiling the maf which will come off.

main advantage i find with these filters is the response, it will supply more air quicker rather , but wont increase overal air supplied.

agree. i have a BMC air filter (panel) and it didn't improve alot but when you open the bonet and rav the engine you can hear the improved suck from the air box.

the throttle is alot better from this and allows the car to react alot better too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Where they do have an advantage is if you have an additional air intake into the standard airbox, particularly if it picks up air from the front of the car, as it tends to pick up all the crap as well.

In these circumstances, having something you can clean is useful as the standard paper elements get dirty very quickly.

getting some very light oiled filetrs made/bought if anyone is interested- just need to get some pipe diameters to match things up!

at the moment £35 just the cone filter in stainless finish either unoiled or slightly oiled

bump!

I think that Audi should make a new type of air filter or they could also install already a performance air filter on newer models of cars. They could also get partner such as K&N for the 2011 audi a4 performance air filter so they could work hand-in-hand and improve the performance and quality of this air filters on audi cars. Well, that's just my opinion in order to lessen the conflicts and issues on air filter and MAF. :happy:

I reckon the K&N 'facts' are more a marketing waffle exercise than actual fact. K&N really do think they're the best but they're not, not by a long way. The standard filters will probably give best air throughput but the noise will not be as good as perf ones. I drive a 3.0 and I use an ITG filter in mine (£50?) which makes a great noise and pickup is a bit better too at the top end but overall not much better than standard If I'm honest. It just becomes a 'self fullfilling prophecy' exercise when you put one in, ie you expect it to be better so, in your head, it is, even though the times/figures don't really bear this out. Even though ITG's are oil covered I have no MAF troubles, just needs cleaning in petrol every year....20k miles or so for me. Just for the slightly deeper growl its a good buy though :)

i think they found no correlation between maf failiure and aftermarket filter, 1 in 30 failed, which is about the same, only forseable problem is heavily oiiled filters oiling the maf which will come off.

main advantage i find with these filters is the response, it will supply more air quicker rather , but wont increase overal air supplied.

On my 1.8t i got through 2 maf's in 3 months that was using a pipercross panel filter so i went bock to stock and had no problems the only advantage for me was the deep growl