Help! ESP & ABS light just came on :( :( :(

Grangey.

Reaction score
Yep, just like that out of the blue, both the ESP and ABS Light came on. I restarted the car for it to clear, only to come on 30 seconds later. ESP button is unresponsive when its on.

Any ideas? :(

God I hope its not expensive :(

when the brake light switch packs in it puts abs esp light on
your better off scanning it for fault codes

A fault in the brake light circuit can cause this, be it a bulb out or a faulty pedal switch (most common).

If the brake lights are working fine then it might an abs sensor or something, best bet is to try and get a scan done.

How much do audi charge for scans?

How much is a brake light switch and is it something im likely to be able to do myself?

very easy to do
10 min job but why replace unless you know its at fault
try your brake lights 1st

cant rember what i paid was defo under 20 quid tho

audi charge to much for a scan where u from

Im in Oxford- so it deffo wont be cheap.

For the sake of under £20 il give the switch a shot lol.

Any guides or how tos on it? No idea where to find it!

Its on the brake pedal mechanism.

If you PM me your email I'll send you a pdf guide, it's pretty simple.

Audi charge an hours labour rate for a scan which is over £100 (think its actually £135) which is ridiculous, see if someone on here local has vag com, its definately a worthwhile tool to have

Yep, it does appear to be the break switch.

Drove for as long as possible to work without using my brakes at all and the lights remained off for a good 5 minutes, a second after I used the brakes they both shot on.

So il get one of them ordered and hope that sorts it :)

I assume my brake lights still work? I havnt been able to check yet!

£10 ish from audi. 10mins to fit and break your back when your upside down with your head in the footwell lol

When i did mine. The switch is located on the metal arm of the brake pedal. Just unclip wiring connector and remove the switch. the new one will probably look different as mines did but its probably an upgraded design.

Last edited: