2.5 tdi

hades-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
anyone with the 2.5 tdi ?
pros an cons ? what to look out for
TIA

which model b5 or b6 ? I have a few and it's the best diesel out there with decent performance out of the box, late 2004 b6 model 163 bhp with BDG engine code with a steinbauer tuning box- 200 bhp and 440nm of torque- plenty fast
for a FWD avant !

b6 cabby
anything to look out for not up on the diesels

Hi, I bought a 2.5tdi cabby last summer, and absolutely love it. Had the Cambelt changed as there was no record of it having been changed and although it only had 42k on the clock, it was 7 years old, and I didn't want to risk it. Aside from that, I had a custom remap carried out so it is knocking out just under 200bhp, up from the stock 163bhp.
I have done about 9000 miles so far, mostly dual carriageway/motorway miles, and it averages low to mid 40's mpg. This is the 34th car I have owned over the years, all makes and models, new and bangers, and I have to say the cabby is a superb car. It just oozes quality, you won't be disappointed.

I have a 2.5 tdi avant, I've had it 6 years now and done nearly 90k in it (it's now at 143K). Not had any problems until last week, when the power steering belt tensioner bolt sheared off. I'm fixing this myself, just waiting for the new bolt then put it all back together.
Mine isn't the 162 bhp (155bhp i think) but I really enjoy it.

Diesel pump ECU is a common and well documented fault. Also cams on some variants are subject to premature wear particularly on vehicles on long life variable service. Other than that these engines are pretty robust but a bit on the thirsty side.

Diesel pump ECU is a common and well documented fault. Also cams on some variants are subject to premature wear particularly on vehicles on long life variable service. Other than that these engines are pretty robust but a bit on the thirsty side.

I drove to south France and back last summer in a B6 cabby 2.5tdi and was averaging 46mpg, I thought that was pretty good. Then I had it remapped and the mpg went up by 2-3mpg.. lovely engine, if it had been a quattro would probably have kept it..