I picked up my new A4 a week ago and am really pleased with it. I used to have a Peugeot 406 coupe V6 and got used to doing some repairs to it - the Audi does scare me a bit as its put together in a better way than I'm used to.
My car is a 53 reg and is the 190 Sport:
I've been looking through all the documentation and it has a full Audi service history and has done only 69k miles. I'm quite keen for it not to fail on me so have been looking at a few things:
1) changing the cambelt - should I wait until 75k miles or change it now (I see no record in the service history - probably due to the 115k mile interval)?
2) does the clutch have a high bite and judder a bit? - it seems to bite quite close to the top of the travel but my coupe did and that clutch was fine
3) I went to change the spark plugs today - I got the NGK PFR6Q platinum ones as recommended by NGK (I enquired about the twin core copper NGKs but was told they aren't really worth the extra price for a stock engine). However, when I took the coil packs off the 2 front plugs I discovered the well to be about and inch full of oil - I can only guess that previous people have been sloppy with filling the car with oil as I wouldn't have thought oil would escape from the cylinder. I did read something about the coil pack recall - what did this entail?Has anyone else had oil in the spark plug wells?
4) I have the covers over the master brake cylinder and battery - are the grommets necessary to be changed as well? Is the additional cover over the ABS lines part of the recall as well?
5) A quick search revealed the sump pan difficult to remove - is this correct? I want to make sure there isn't a build up of sludge as I did think my engine was a bit 'tappety' when cold the other morning. If its a bit awkward, will a few cans of the Wynn's engine flush do the job (I bought a few to do the sump on the last car, along with some gasket sealant)?
6) Finally, will Audi let me have all previous work/invoices done at Audi garages? I also have an invoice where the parts prices listed match the final parts price, the labour cost looks reasonable but then there is an extra 'Sublet' price of over £400 that I cant see what this is for - anyone know?
I did some searching and couldn't find the answers so decided to post the questions - I'm sorry if some things are fairly easy to find.
Many thanks, Rick