EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    Neutral

Status

S-line suspension any good?

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend the S-line suspension? I have been offered the kit for an upgrade of my 1.9tdi 130 which has very poor SE kit.
    Any thoughts on upgrading the bump stops/springs before fitting?

regards

Jonathon

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_bubstar

Re: S-line suspension any good?

I've got no complaints. It is very firm but i'm happy enough. I just stay away from drains and pot holes with the 18's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] should be miles better than the SE set up.

Reverse Gear

Status

You could look at doing a koni sport kit instead! I have a quattro sport and I think there is to much rebound in the suspension which can prove interesting and shakes you senseless over potholes!!

But then I do drive down back roads alot, on the motarway it is great!! and definatley better than the se I got last time mine was in for some work!!

Phil

Neutral

Status

Maybe im gettin old, but sometimes i get pis-- of with it, being quite hard, good 4 A roads, but on B roads ( Were i live there bad , have to put spot lights on roof to see when your coming out of pot holes )
    but have 2 say it works a treat, never bottoming out ?

Neutral

Status

I get annoyed with the sports suspension on poor quality surfaces. I wish it was softer and would have preferred an SE on 16's for ride quality rather than my Sport on 17's. Saying that, I agree with morebigtrouble that it's great on motorways, it makes the car feel very stable and smooths out quite a bit at higher speeds. However I really wouldn't like to try it at all on 18's. When I recently got new tyres I replaced the standard Michelins with Falken ZE512's and I was shocked at how much better they are for ride quality and quietness.

3rd Gear

Status

You could get after market shocks and springs for around 400 that are far better.
    When I had my SE avant I could not beleive how bad the shocks were, not only did you feel every lump and bump in the road but it was wallowy too! How did they manage that?!

Changed to an A3 s-line and the ride, although firmer, was so much better, it soaked up any bumps easily and styed flat on bends.

However went out in a friends 1.9tdi avant and he had fitted eibach shocks and springs and it is a complete transformation, looks better, handles better and is so much smoother too. Total transformation.

Neutral

Status

Gizze,
    Was your mates car eibach suspension actually softer than the S-line kit? and if so what kit did he get?

regards

Jonathon

1st Gear

Status

JSWD32,
    I changed out the sport suspension on my old A4 and replaced it with H&R lowering springs and Koni adjustable shocks, it lowered the car to exactly how I wanted it, all I was after was the looks and to my surprise the ride was better as well, little or no body roll and it wasn't as hard over bumps, it seemed to rebound better. I took them out when I traded for the new A4 but they are for a 1.8T FWD only so they are no good to you. It works out allot cheaper if you go for aftermarket rather than factory. In my case 50% cheaper.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I had my SE avant I could not beleive how bad the shocks were, not only did you feel every lump and bump in the road but it was wallowy too! How did they manage that?!

[/ QUOTE ]

The bumpy ride is caused by too much high speed compression damping,meaning the shock cannot react quickly enough to sudden forces such as bumps.

The wallowing is caused by poor low speed damping (compression and rebound) meaning the shock doesn't damp slower movements properly.

My A4 130 tdi sport was exactly the same.Woeful.
    The S-line suspension on my A3 is much much better.