Parking light (Rear Number Plate) Fault - 2004 S4

Sulli

Reaction score
I had a fault light come up saying my parking light was out. Checked and one of the rear number plate lights is out, not the other. I changed it, but still not working. Have cleaned all terminals but still not working. Probably not a fuse as they would both be off the same one, and keen not to start strippinbg bootlining if it could be something simple.
Any ideas?

Get a multimeter and check you are getting power to the pins inside the recess if you are try bending the prongs on the bulb holder as you could just have a poor connection like I did

Also while yet have the screws out replace them with stainless if they aren't already to prevent future problems

The number plate light holder is a nightmare waiting to happen. I think this only applies to LED bulbs, but have you tried rotating the bulb 180 degrees.

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the screw, which looked like it had snapped and replaced it. No fault showing, for about 2 mins, then fault showed up again. The light actually seems to work, but the fault still shows despite this.
2 things - where do you get the proper stainless steel replacemnt screws and does anyone know what size they are?
Do I need vagcom to clear this code?

No they're not LEDs. Bit confused if the light is working but fault code still showing???

I am officially a dope.... when the warning first came up I checked the rear number plate light and it was out, so it tallied. So did my internet searches referencing parking light being the number plate light. Just noticed though that my left sidelight (front) the one that comes on as a parking light when you leave the indicator on with keys out, is out......
So that explains it, sorry for confusion, new nice bright bulbs on way to match the headlights!

Lol - My next post was going to be "Don't take offence, but are you 100% sure its a number plate bulb out warning?"......

Chaps, how the chuff did you manage to change the bulb? My left hand side bulb is out and I can get my hand to it but it's so tight a can't get a good grip to get it out. It keeps turning and turning it wont come out! Help?? 👊

Remove the headlight. Remove both top screws and just loosen the lower one

Surely removing the headlight will unalign it?

Yes QJ side light, passenger side.

🍻

The headlight is set with the white screws. You dont touch these. There are 2 torx screws at the top and a lower one, you may need a long driver to reach it.

I was checking as this is a number plate bulb thread ;)

Taking the light out will unalign it, but if you park facing a wall and use chalk or tape to mark the beam pattern on the wall that will be good enough. Once the light is out then you can remove the connector from the rear of the unit and the bulb will come out with it.

I've posted a diagram on headlight removal before.

hello all

well would you adam and eve it...

it just pulls out of the headlight housing, change bulb - £5.50 from Halfords.. push back in..\

No need to remove headlight at all

:rtfm: