Shattered Rear Glass! Boom!

PhilW

Reaction score
Had the rear window of my avant implode on me today, walked over to the rear of the car whilst unlockinging it, opened the back drivers side door and put my bag in, as soon as I shut the door the rear glass cracked and blew into the car! Hell of a mess. Looks like its blown down the wides and/or from the rear wiper.

Will be checking the CCTV tomorrow to confirm if some kids tried to break I'm but just wondered if anyone else had a similar thing happen to them?

Phil.

car passing catapulted a stone at it by any chance phil

I can see it as its in a pretty secluded car park and my car was a the end of it next to an open piece of grass. Been reading a few things of people having a similar thing happen tho.

i was driving up the M42 few weeks back at around 5.30am and my windscreen was hit by somethink from the outside it was the tiniest mark ever but the inside was a huge big hole like it had been hit with a pellet or somethink.... strange thing was there was no other vehicles around me at all.... but rather not think about someone trying to shoot me in a petrol tanker lol

Same thing happened to my mates Merc.

He got in, shut the door and BOOM.
No damage done to the car or glass, it was just a cold day.

163268_10150101091824319_525019318_7503239_1159097_n.jpg

163030_10150101092059319_525019318_7503246_5808719_n.jpg

Thats crazy, hopefully with the new one it wont happen again.

Does anyone know what size the hole is in the rear screen for the wiper? Is it 25mm like most other VAG cars?

Thanks for that mate, bought some blanks for halfrauds yesterday so thats conming off this weekend for sure.

I dare say that the glass has had some form of defect (chip, scratch etc...) and simply the pressure change inside the car from closing the door caused it. Try checking your rear vents (rear quarter, behind the bumper) to see if they are blocked, as they commonly are this time of year.

Reactions: PhilW
I dare say that the glass has had some form of defect (chip, scratch etc...) and simply the pressure change inside the car from closing the door caused it. Try checking your rear vents (rear quarter, behind the bumper) to see if they are blocked, as they commonly are this time of year.

I think that's pretty much it, add to that my broken rear wiper arm that judders like mad when you use it and I think that's what's caused it. Couldn't see anyone trying to break into my car on CCTV either.

I never knew there were vents there, I'll check them out. Would this cause steaming up in the cabin?

May well do. I'd be checking the pollen filter isn't blocked as well

---
I am here: Google Maps

Thats really interesting tho about the rear vents, just had a read and they allow pressure to escape from them which might be one thing that might add to blowing the window along with the cabin steaming up quite a bit (new pollen filter this year and not apparent water in the cabin.)

I'll get under/inside the car to see if they're blocked or not working properly and report back.

Thats really interesting tho about the rear vents, just had a read and they allow pressure to escape from them which might be one thing that might add to blowing the window along with the cabin steaming up quite a bit (new pollen filter this year and not apparent water in the cabin.)

I'll get under/inside the car to see if they're blocked or not working properly and report back.

I can hear my flaps bounce when I go through the motions of shutting the rear doors.

Any idea how yo get to these "fart flaps" on an avant?

Cool, thanks, do you have to get the bumper off to get to them if they're blocked or can you reach behind the bumper? Or should I stop asking so many questions and just have a ****** look myself! Lol.

Cool, thanks, do you have to get the bumper off to get to them if they're blocked or can you reach behind the bumper? Or should I stop asking so many questions and just have a ****** look myself! Lol.

LOL
I think you can get to them from underneath but I doubt you got much room.