Scary low mpg.

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Filled the car up on the way down to chester at a petrol station just off the M6, did my motorway miles and a few slow runs between ellsmere port, chester and cuddington.
Filled up again so I could check how the cars running and it's returning 33mpg!!

Any suggestions?

It's a 2.5 TDI Quattro.
For reference it would normally be doing 40-43mpg. On a run to scotland last new year (so equally cold) was 46mpg and on a run to Le Mans with 2 mates and a boot full of camping gear it does 43mpg. That's at 75-80mph too.

Sorry cannot advise on the 1.9TDI but our A3 on normal runs is returning 59mpg.

try injector cleaner mate and maybe a new fuel filter, tyre pressure, also you may have the famous injector fault that will bog down the MPG, have you run the fault code reader on it ?
I'll nip out and pop vagcom on the car.
It was fully serviced last month all new filters.
Tyre pressures were 33psi. But I normally run 36. But i canot see that being too bad. Injector was replaced earlier this year too.

Good question. I can only assume less rolling resistance with less tyre contact with the road.

I should add i put a new green temp sensor on the other day.

My 2.5q routinely delivers 33mpg, max I've seen is just under 38..

I don't know how you ever get over 40's!

I don't drive it that hard really and when I do it only goes down to 36ish.

im a mid 30's MPG driver, so 33 would not make me be concerned really,
If 90% of your driving had been motorway at 70mph? maybe abit slower because of snow.
When normally I'm returning 40+?

I'm been out for a play with vagcom. No faults to show bar the engine mount.
So I did some pointless looking through the readings and found that the intake temp is 20degress. Verse the temp of outside. It's a big difference and from unplugging the maf i found that throws up a G72 intake temp sensor fault. So it must measure intake temps before the turbo/pipe work.
Could this be the cause. So I unplugged it and went for a drive. It felt no different at all.

Address 01: Engine (8E0 907 401 B)
20:43:24 Group 020: Auxialiary heater
-1.1°C Outside temp
0.00 l/h Aux. heater fuel consumption
00 00 Aux. heater activ. see label file
56.1°C Coolant temp

20:43:24 Group 007: Temperatures
34.2°C Fuel Temperature (G81)
59.4°C Oil Temperatur (G8)
20.9°C Intake Air Temperature (G72)
56.1°C Coolant Temperature (G62)

My average over the last 15000 miles has Been 38mpg. The last few tanks have been 34-35 & I've put this down to cold weather. 40mpg+ is impressive and probably quite rare.

I appriciate that your mpgs are around the same as what I'm experiencing, but they're lower than what my car normally returns. So it's not 'the norm' for my car. It wouldn't just suddenly decide to only return 33mpg.
The maf on mine looks like it may well have done the full 166k the car has covered. The car does feel abit sluggish and when it's unplugged theres no real noticable difference.
Like I say, normally it'd be over 40 so to be low 30's there is something wrong.

Got a MAF on order for tomorrow morning. So hopefully this will fix it. Can't hurt it anyway.
It does feel quiet sluggish atm.

I wouldnt be happy with 33 even my tiptronic can do that in town and my previous manual could always do over 40 on a steady run both with good tuning boxes although I am still to be convinced that they make a big diff.Psi is important and I have 18s which are at 40 the manual had 16s at 38.A huge amount of fuel is wasted cos a lot dont check their pressures regularly

If 90% of your driving had been motorway at 70mph? maybe abit slower because of snow.
When normally I'm returning 40+?

I'm been out for a play with vagcom. No faults to show bar the engine mount.
So I did some pointless looking through the readings and found that the intake temp is 20degress. Verse the temp of outside. It's a big difference and from unplugging the maf i found that throws up a G72 intake temp sensor fault. So it must measure intake temps before the turbo/pipe work.
Could this be the cause. So I unplugged it and went for a drive. It felt no different at all.

Address 01: Engine (8E0 907 401 B)
20:43:24 Group 020: Auxialiary heater
-1.1°C Outside temp
0.00 l/h Aux. heater fuel consumption
00 00 Aux. heater activ. see label file
56.1°C Coolant temp

20:43:24 Group 007: Temperatures
34.2°C Fuel Temperature (G81)
59.4°C Oil Temperatur (G8)
20.9°C Intake Air Temperature (G72)
56.1°C Coolant Temperature (G62)

My motorway MPG is not that fantastic as most trips are normally over and done with in record times............................:rulez:

New MAF was delivered into Skoda yesterday morning.
Fitted it outside, filled up with premium asda fuel and commenced on my 209 mile round trip.
I returned 38mpg. That included a mundane drive through and around Cheshire Oaks and a lovely trip through Liverpool to Garston.
So I'll say I'm happier now. Car feels smoother and nippier too.

I'm with James: 33-38mpg with real-world driving.... I've done over 40mpg (around 45mpg) a few times, but that's a 6th gear 5-mph idle on a warm engine for a few miles.... not a full tank's worth with stopping and starting, etc.

70mph cruise = 40mpg
100mph cruise = 30mpg

I'm with James: 33-38mpg with real-world driving.... I've done over 40mpg (around 45mpg) a few times, but that's a 6th gear 5-mph idle on a warm engine for a few miles.... not a full tank's worth with stopping and starting, etc.

70mph cruise = 40mpg
100mph cruise = 30mpg
So you're agreeing with me 33mpg on majority motorway driving is low lol.
Anyway the figures were worked out at the pumps not on the dis.
Seems fine now with the new MAF.

Merry Christmas Ladies and Gents.
Well on Monday I drove to liverpool, through to Garston and back home. (about 180 mile) Then Yesterday I went down to Ellsmere Port via St Helens, through Cheshire oaks, over to Wallesey, back to cheshire oaks and back home. (about 220)
I got 40mpg.
Seems quite happy now.

Does the intake temp match the outside temp in vagcom now?

May chinge my maf as it has prob done 190,000 miles and looks very dirty on the sensor inside. How much was a new maf?

Cheers