2004 a4 2.5 diesel cold start problems and white smoke

B16dev

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me, got a 04 a4 2.5 163 sport from a guy at work, he's been running it on red diesel for years, got a bad batch started running crap, I got it this week, put it into my mates garage he found water in the fuel filter, took the pump of, full of crap, cleaned etc, drained the fuel tank.. New fuel filter in..

It struggles to start in the morning, loads of white smoke, its pretty much impossible to move the car till maybe 2 mins after start up and the smoke has cleared. Then it's runs fine until u hit 3000 rpm. Really struggles to go past this and the traction control light comes on at the same time.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Ive seen a few similar related problems on the net that suggest maybe the pump timming could be out????

Getting fault codes 17583 and 00550

Any help would be much appreciated

Does sound like fuel pump timing, but could be injector problems from the red diesel, or maybe even a VP44 fuel pump error as the pump won't have taken kindly to that abuse.

Try the pump codes in the Rosstech wiki to see what they refer to.

00550- injection commencment- petrol or bio diesel, water in fuel system or air in system
Or fuel links clogged

17583 Pilot injection shut of- Possable causes are same as above and also Low fuel pressure and internal damaged to the pump

Hi,

Did You solve this problem? What was it?
I have similar problem (same fault codes) with my 163PS BDG engine but it only has place when temperature outside is less than -20 celsius.... When engine is warm and I shut it down for ~ 30min and then start again everything is ok.... Maybe it is fuel problem??

Turned out to be the ecu on the fuel pump, I removed it, which is really easy to do and sent it away, I found a company on eBay who repair the ecu for £107, if you search Audi fuel diesel fuel pump edc you'll find the seller.. Cheers