locking wheel nut

N80KRR

Reaction score
after getting a bargain price for some Audi alloys to replace the 5 spoke ones on my motor now. got 2 off and replaced with new ones, came to the 3rd and I couldn't get the locking wheel nut to budge (not even 1mm). tried it on the next wheel and heard a little crack and to my amazement I've managed to crack the outer rim of the locking wheel nut. so I'm now left with the star like pattern in the center. I have tried locking wheel nut removers and stud extractor to no avail as I can't seem to get any purchase on the actual locking wheel nut. Does anyone have any idea's on how I could remove these?

got those ordered off ebay last week and they were too big to fit in the recess for the wheel nut on the alloy so grounded down only to find the 20mm is about 1mm too big. and no one seem to stock 19mm ones.

theses are the normal audi locking wheel nuts?
they are smooth on the out side? so no chance of battery on a old socket?

Thought about popping to audi and buying a new key?

Just hope you don't need to do this
164580_179959762027862_100000415179153_536255_6162562_n.jpg

it's not the key that's the issue. at the moment that alloy looks like the only way left.

these are the two nuts in question. As you can see the top one is a full nut but it has a crack down it. and the 2nd one displays what's left after the outside sort of fractured off.
IMG_10661-vi.jpg

IMG_10671-vi.jpg

Thats the sort of sh*t that makes you wish you'd never bothered :(

well i won't be bothering with the next set as this is too much hassle. plus how easily you can get a locking wheel nut remover from ebay is a bit scary.

can you get hold of a copper drift and give it a few twats with an hammer than a multispline socket to abuse on the stud... once gad to cut off a wheel on a mk3 golf gti scott looked as pretty as yours

Why don't you drill off the remaining nut, just as far as the wheel with a drill a bit bigger than the diameter of the thread. If you use a nice sharp drill and go nice and slow with some cutting oil it will soon come out.

If the wheels survive I might buy them if you are on about selling :p

Good luck with removing it. If you know a decent garage I'd consider taking it there. My old neighbour had to do that and they did a great job of removing it.