richy

Reaction score
Website
www.vagowners.com
guys as i am aware

stage 1 = remap
stage 2 = remap + miltek
stage 3 = remap + miltek + sports cats.

now the cost is quite a bit for all of them.. and alot of money is spent on the CATs..

now i've never upgraded the cats and was wondering if the cats are worthwhile or is it something that you guys regret getting etc.?

please let me know.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the 4.2 you get most of the benefit from the exhaust system (which also includes the downpipes).

QS Tuning only sell this and don't even bother with a remap program as they say it's not worth the effort. They reckon 370 with just the full system.

I had mine unchipped a while ago and dyno it. It came in at 357 and with the AMD chip 387. This was some with some new software and AMD called me today and are looking at it. I felt the dyno was low on the unchipped reading and high on the chipped as it doesn't feel like 30 bhp difference.

My current thinking is that if I was starting from scratch I'd simply do for the stage3 - the chip and get most of the performance (and noise!!!) with a smaller risk to any warranty issues.

I may change my mind when mine is running 100%.

p.s. Putting cats on a 1.8T (TT, S3, A4 etc) isn't worth hardly anything unless your pushing 300+ bhp (in my opinion)

ScoTTy

357 with full Milltek system can't be right? I am talking to someone local about cat back system with 3" pipes, granted 3/4" bigger than MIlltek, but they have done a B6 S4 on the rolling road and produced 356. The suggestion was that the hi flow cats would push that to near 375 and a APR or AMD chip over 400? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Richy, I am having the same dilema and have decided just for a cat back system until the warrantly expires on mine. Don't know if you are in the same boat on the warranty issue but it depends on what you want, more outright power of better pick up and sound. If the former then go all the way, if the latter just cat back system. Hi flow cats were suggested to me only if I had a remap to utilise them, otherwise a waste of money and time.

well im getting a B7 S4 in may.. so no i wont be waiting for the warranty to run out..

and as the audi Dealer is taking it to AMD etc.. then if i do ahve any problems i go back to them..

but with the cat back and exhausts the warranty is with the miltek or whoever and not audi.. and if audi say it effects anything else then tell them where to go!!

with the remap AMD offer a warranty but as audi are taking the car down there i am assuming (i will check) that they are allowing this mod ... otherwise if i was audi.. i wouldn't have offered to take my car down there in the first place..

basicly i want the power.. as with everyone.. no1 would do mods if it wasn't for the extra power output..

but do the cats really make that much difference...?

what i forgot to mention is will the cats give a nice idle sound.. ?

is it too loud..? or is it just right?

and does the sound difference change when accelerating..

[ QUOTE ]
soooo let me get this straight..

you recomend going for the miltek and remap... but not the cats..?

or the cats aswell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything but the chip (for now!).

[ QUOTE ]
ScoTTy

357 with full Milltek system can't be right? I am talking to someone local about cat back system with 3" pipes, granted 3/4" bigger than MIlltek, but they have done a B6 S4 on the rolling road and produced 356. The suggestion was that the hi flow cats would push that to near 375 and a APR or AMD chip over 400? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I know hence why it's still on going. Previously it's run 395.

Richy - check on the warranty situation and if it's not in writing then it doesn't exist!! Don't assume anything. I can guarantee that it will affect your Audi warranty.

I can't say how much difference the cat's actually make as I've not driven one the same but without the cats. Most people believe they do on the S4.

With regards the noise I think it's just right. Plently loud enough when using the revs but subtle enough when cruising. Best of both worlds. Here it is under power. Sorry for all the silly squealing (and if I posted this before as I'm not sure if I put it on here or somewhere else!!) HERE

right...

well all the bits that i will be changing will have their own warranty so why would i need an audi warranty on them bits?

im going for the remap and exhaust anyways as i checked it out and thats what they are getting done. so may get the cats done at a later time..

[ QUOTE ]
Ooops This is the correct link. HERE

NIce sound ScoTTY, now I see why you need another set of tyres for track days, you're fairly flinging that thing round that bend!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

What's the sound like at a constant 85+ ....... on the track of course...... sorry none of us would know that on a motorway as we are all law abiding citizens!!

Yeah I was throwing it around a bit that day. It was with a bunch of TTs etc so getting the perfect line didn't really benefit me that much as I was flying past them anyway. I was just out for some fun...plus I knew the camera was there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At 85 I think you're around 3-3.5k rpm. It's a background burble but nothing more. I use the car as an every day car, a European holiday cruiser, a track car and soon to be a family car. It adapts to all of them as you only really experience the full noise when giving a load of right foot.

You can go louder if you get an unresonated exhaust and adding an induction kit also adds more noise but I find it perfect as it is.

I'm going to take the plunge and get a custom built cat back system from local company AAS, saves the trek to AMD and a bit cheaper too.

I'm the same as you ScoTTy, just want something a little more vocal when I'm planting my foot and when cruising is just nice. Since the car is on PCP I'm going to wait a little before remapping and replacing with sports cats. I'm likely to be in the family way soon and the wife may not allow me to keep the S4, in fact I know she won't. She wants a more practical car, i.e estate or MPV....... so estate it is, an RS4. I'd imagine when the new one comes out the old ones will drop in price a little more and become slightly more accessible for around £20K and then a turbo stage 3 may be in order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I must admit though I'll miss having a V8 if it does happen.

ScoTTy

You're right, S4 is on a par with my old S3 for practicailuty stakes, the extra doors for a start and a bigger boot, but the hatch concept is sometimes missed for bigger itmes when I have to borrow a mates A4 Avant TDi, hence a B5 RS4 in my future thoughts. Although also in my thoughts is an Ariel Atom, we'll just have to wait and see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Richy, good luck to you mate, hope you enjoy the upgrade, wish I had the option but the wife would kill me if I didn't put a piece of metal and carbon on her finger before shelling out £3K plus on what she thinks is an already expensive motor. Anyone know what the six numbers for Saturday are, it's worth a pint or two??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif