Whats your average MPG for a 1.9 TDI 130???????? MINES BAD I THINK??????

holmefield

Reaction score
Hi all i'm after some advice really i've got a 54 plate B6 tdi sport 130bhp thats been re-mapped to around 170 bhp with no other engine mods its got the multronic gearbox/6 speed manuel or autobox basically.

I've fitted a DIS stork but haven't got the trip computer working yet ( long story for another day ) so my only way of working out fuel usage is filling up and then working out off my trip counter miles between fill ups, im averaging about 36 Mpg which includes 13 miles each way to work a day normal roads not twisty and some motorway driving.

£35 seems to get about 220 miles is this normal or is my car running RICH ?

Cheers all....

I'm averaging about 43mpg with my B6 avant 130.. It's completely standard and needing serviced.. I also get about 45mpg from my gt tdi golf that's remapped to round 190 bhp..
So I would say yours is quite heavy on fuel.
Hth M

44mpg but mines is a Quattro. Standard 130bhp. Noticed slight improvement since doing the timing belt and service.

mine is getting a steady 46. Just driven down to switzerland and it still looks like i'll get the same..

1e54d0a3.jpg

Road Trip - pro version so i can add more than one car.

its a completely subjective question. Great you do a 13 mile trip a day, but is that constant stop start, or do you pull out your drive straight on to a motorway?

I work 2 miles from work, so when im back and forth to the office all week my mpg isnt great at all (£20 might get me about 120 miles), but then when i go to a client visit 2.5 hours away accross motorways, ive no doubt im getting 60+mpg (although dont have dis) (£20 will get me a good 250+ miles).

its a completely subjective question. Great you do a 13 mile trip a day, but is that constant stop start, or do you pull out your drive straight on to a motorway?

I work 2 miles from work, so when im back and forth to the office all week my mpg isnt great at all (£20 might get me about 120 miles), but then when i go to a client visit 2.5 hours away accross motorways, ive no doubt im getting 60+mpg (although dont have dis) (£20 will get me a good 250+ miles).

Same with me....4 miles from work - I have to do alot of stop/start - so £25 get's me 150 miles

Going to Paris in Feb - so my mpg will hopefully be close to your motorway mpg

130 avant sport, 5 speed manual.

60 miles a day, average speed of 30mph, half od the drive is motorway half is stop start rubbish driving.

I always get between 600-650 miles per tank brim to brim. So thats about 46mpg+

Im getting 52-55 MPG, 600 miles to last white line of gauge (the one just before reserve), so 200 miles roughly per line. 130 AWX.

full tank on a 1.9 quattro pretty much all mway. about £80 and 500ish miles.

i get about 42 mpg 15 mile journey to work mixture of dualcarriageway and single carriageway... 600 miles roughly £77

Yer i understated what some are saying, im just trying to bulid an average as i believe mines not running right to the gallon.

Like i said im going to try and get my DIS working this weekend and i was think about doing the EGR thingy???? has anybody done it? where is it? my cars done 113000 miles and im pretty sure that its not been cleaned well certainly not in the two years i've owned it, is there a how to guide as to how to take it off and clean it?

Will this make a difference?

have seen around 50-52mph max but i average around 48mpg always get 650 miles to full tank

i had 52 once. i dont drive the car hard, 20 mile trip to work. Would like to see a nice regular 50. :-0

just out of curiosity my bro once had a 03plate bora tdi 130 with 225/45/18 on he used to average 46mpg he then put the std 16's on to sell the car for the 2-3 weeks of driving it with the smaller wheels the dis was showing 50-52mpg as ive just noticed that holmefield got some huge wheels in his sig maybe this is a reason ??? or is this impossible

It's been remapped and it's automatic so there's your payoff. Mines a totally standard 130 and get 550-600 to tank, had 720 once when driving very sensibly, but average to/from work which is 30 mile round trip, motorway, but bottom of M3 so 30mph max it drops to 40mpg average, so 35 would seem about right on a similar journey with remap & auto.
As long as the tyres are the correct profile providing the same rolling radius (+/- 2%) then there shouldn't be any significant economy issues, the wheels will weigh slightly more but that's about all. Chances are the tyres will be wider and the wrong profile which will cause lower mpg.

yer i was thinkin that maybe my alloys accounted for 1/2 MPG but not 8/10 MPG i'm also thinking about changing my temp sensor as the gauge never seems to get upto 90c which i believe is normal running temp.

Its the EGR valve thats got me wondering would it knock the MPG down that much if it was bunged up???

It's been remapped and it's automatic so there's your payoff. Mines a totally standard 130 and get 550-600 to tank, had 720 once when driving very sensibly, but average to/from work which is 30 mile round trip, motorway, but bottom of M3 so 30mph max it drops to 40mpg average, so 35 would seem about right on a similar journey with remap & auto.
As long as the tyres are the correct profile providing the same rolling radius (+/- 2%) then there shouldn't be any significant economy issues, the wheels will weigh slightly more but that's about all. Chances are the tyres will be wider and the wrong profile which will cause lower mpg.

My tyres are only 6mm bigger on the radius than the 235/45/17 tyres, i checked with a tyre calculator :friends:

mate i dont have DIS and i still know what my range gets me, and again you havnt actually signified what style of driving your results are based on nor your driving style (ultimatley to have a 175 remap indicates that very occasionally you might want to have your foot down).

Before you start worrying about replacing things and getting worried, get to a motorway with your tank just hitting red (shows on range normally about 60 miles left), put £10 in, get on the motorway, put it in its 5th/6th gear, and just cruise at a constant speed somewhere between 50 and 60 and see how far down the country you can get- you should be able to drive consistantly at that speed for at least an hour/1.5 hours before the fuel light comes back on.

You could also just need a service, this cold weather will start bringing out the weaknesses in an engine

Temp sender will definately cause an issue as basically you're running with the choke out all the time

I have a quattro (smaller fuel tank) and average just under 40mpg during the week travelling to and from work (mix of stop/start and motorway), on a long run I will get 45-48.

The temp guage not reading right is the first problem, if the ECU thinks the car isn't warm enough it will slightly overfuel it, so change that, however, the B6 temp gauge also takes a reading from the thermostat, so you may need to change that as well (which is why my temp guage still read no more than 70 degrees after changing temp sensor), I noticed no noticeable difference when I cleaned out the EGR valve although the car did run a bit smoother...

The second issue is you have an auto, they do use more fuel, having never had one, and I think most of the replies so far are from people with manuals, you would need to compare it to others....

Finally it could also be the remap, was it done as a performance map or economy map?

There are so many variables in fuel consumption, it's hard to tell, even tyre pressures can make a difference....

The re-map was done as a cross between the to, my best mate has his own tuning business so got his computer fella to do a true custom map that combined performance and good MPG.The maps been on nearly two years and its only in the last 3months i've noticed the fuel drop.

My driving style is just normal really odd blast from time to time but most of the time i just leave the car in drive ( not sport ) im 37 so i aint boy racering!!!! if thats a word....

I've just looked into some EGR threads and after reading i dont believe cleaning it out would alter fuel usage that much, i think i'll change the temp and thermostat sensors.

does anybody have the part numbers for them by any chance?????? dont get me wrong its not becoming an obsession about the MPG its just bugging me as of late it seems to make no difference if i drive easy or hard of my last £35 fill up 90miles ( average speed 75 mph ) was one motorway drive and 130miles of mixed normal roads 220miles total.

mmm my fuel usage went down a little tonight after some **** in a subaru cut me up then booted it but little did he know my little 130tdi pushed him for a good while into the high double figures but still registering 540 miles left in the tank LOL......and already done 70 on the trip

that sounds slightly low but not that i would start to worry too much about?

going on about the temperatures... my incar guage hasnt worked since having it (aprill '11) and the prev owner said it wasnt working but it has been to audi (kidlington) and put through a diagnostics with nothing showing up, im guessing this will not physically alter the fuelling just the fact i cannot see when it is up to temp? if anyone knows a fix to this please say :)

vag com it m8 1st probably the prone temp sensor i payed 28quid fitted for mine

mine averages 44mpg, i have never failed to get the dis to average over 50mpg with the 2wd 1.9tdi i have owned in a4,a6 and passat guise.
we all know the dis is not perfectly accurate but it wont be that far off, they usually over read around 5 mpg.

Last edited:
If the temp guage is reading low then the same info will be sent to the ECU as both feeds are from the same sender, so yes it will be overfuelling

36mpg sounds v poor for a 1.9TDI, regardless of gearbox / mapping... that's what I'm getting on a quattro 2.5TDI V6 (33-36MPG depending on mix and style of driving).

@andymac

If that was aimed at me then the temp guage isnt reading low... its not working at all, doesnt move off the pointer only on extremely rare occasions does it ever slightly move.

If that wasnt at me then sorry!

36mpg sounds v poor for a 1.9TDI, regardless of gearbox / mapping... that's what I'm getting on a quattro 2.5TDI V6 (33-36MPG depending on mix and style of driving).

****** hell im gettin V6 tdi Mpg without the grunt, im feeling a little bummed now. im going to have to get my DIS working and try and find out what im getting, but saying that i've been trying to get it working for over a year but have always been let down or they've not known how to use vag-com properly.......

DIS is alright for monitoring your mpg, but for fuel economy I'd work it out from each fill up, or use Fuelly.com which is very easy.

My 2003/53 1.9 TDi Quattro Sport (130) with the 6-speed manual gearbox returns on average around 37-40mpg from a full tank based on a mixture of some town driving and b-road stuff. The combined MPG figure for this model is 43.5mpg from the manufacturer and knowing that its extremely rare that you hit those sorts of figures I'm happy enough. It costs me roughly £82 to fill it and I get a whisker over 500 miles from the tank. Can't grumble given the performance.

Its such a difficult one to gauge this via a thread like this. There are so many factors that can affect economy and therefore its nigh on impossible to accurately say you have a problem or not.

Many people mis-calculate their overall MPG when they fill up because they assume that the tank is completely empty as a starting point, when in reality there is probably 3 or 4 litres in there.

I intend to service the car soon and will possibly look at getting it remapped along with a full clean up of the intake manifold and EGR delete when funds allow. I am sure that this should have a positive effect on economy.

J

I just think from everybodys MPG figures that mines @ the bottom end of the scale, the remap whilst lots of fun must be robbing me of 6/8 Mpg:blownose:.......................Getting my DIS done mid week hopefully:keule:

as per James' comment: true mpg needs to be done by yourself: fill up the tank, drive it for a few days and then fill it up again.

There's loads of websites that'll help you with the "maths" (x miles for y litres = z mpg).

People need to ignore the DIS, its not accurate. Brim to brim is the only way to go for accurate MPG.

Even though the temp gauge might be saying 90 it doesnt mean your temp sensor is seeing 90, there is a +/- 10degrees tolerance for the temp gauge, so best bet is to vag com it and check the actual temp the sensor is reading because it might actually be in the high 70's .

9/10 if the temp gauge is steady but the actual temp is low your thermostat needs changing. If your temp gauge flucuates your temp sensor needs changing.

IMO if your doing one, do the other at the same time. Ive found a dodgy stat can knock off about 5-7mpg. Also tyre pressures can drop MPG as well as heating and air con.

People need to ignore the DIS, its not accurate. Brim to brim is the only way to go for accurate MPG.

Even though the temp gauge might be saying 90 it doesnt mean your temp sensor is seeing 90, there is a +/- 10degrees tolerance for the temp gauge, so best bet is to vag com it and check the actual temp the sensor is reading because it might actually be in the high 70's .

9/10 if the temp gauge is steady but the actual temp is low your thermostat needs changing. If your temp gauge flucuates your temp sensor needs changing.

IMO if your doing one, do the other at the same time. Ive found a dodgy stat can knock off about 5-7mpg. Also tyre pressures can drop MPG as well as heating and air con.

The Dis is mainly to get it working as its been bugging me for months, i do check the MPG against fill ups to be honest its the only way i've been able to check.I'll do as has been suggested and when the vag-com is on i'll get my mate to check the temp, is it just a case of going on to the temp page in vag-com? my mates ok with it not sure he knows about all the things you can do with it.

Thanks for all the advice i've been gettin, i'm gunna get to the bottom of it one way or another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well done another full tank just filled it up with 82.75p to absolutly brimmed to the top..... and my trip computer as done 628miles and showing 65 left... and this is with the car being remapped so im happy with that....