WHAT JUST HAPPENED ?????

You need a second opinion from some one else experienced who has a diagnosis computer to plug it into. As you said above mis diagnosis can cost money, but you've already cost yourself money with a mis diagnosis.

Didn't there used to be a directory of Vagcom owners on this site? Or was that on as VW forum somewhere?

There is also someone on this forum in the North East area who was fitting Dis and Cruise a while back, can't remember their username but if they ring any bells you could try them? or put up a wanted thread for someone in your region with a VAG computer?

Good luck what ever you do....

yes ideally i need someone with vag com that can measure the blocks for me while the car is running, i asked for vag com help in the area, 1 guy offered and i went to see him but he was not sure how to use it and i did not have a clue so we did not find anything wrong.

obviously it takes an experianced guy to fully understand vag com but that guy either does not live near me or are too busy to offer to help.

my DMF is shaking my car to bits since remap ok if i build up the revs slowly through the gears but if i plant it from low revs i get this horrible judder/shake and its really bad by your feet area...... hope yours isnt this as my parts have cost a arm and a leg for genuine lol

I dont think it is dmf, i had a remap on another b6 i had and it did exactly the same as yours, they do grumble easily after a remap and im not sure that a new one will fix the problem. A custom map that is less aggressive below 2000rpm may be the solution.

I have vagcom, know my way around it comfortably and I think I'm in your area (you said you saw me in Bishop Auckland)
I can highly recommend Volksparts in Meadowfield. Cracking bunch of guys I've been using since 1996.

****** Coilpack. RAC man dropped a VW coilpack in with a slightly different part number to get me to my friendly local garage, then took his one back. They've ordered me a new one and should have it all sorted tomorrow morning.

Same symptoms as mentioned here though until it fully gave up, then even the idle was rough as hell, didn't feel nice at all.

Sorry James, overlooked that at the time. Other than the completely different engine, mine did exactly has he described, very odd. A coil has definitely gone, but there's oil around the plugs so I think I've sprung a leak somewhere.

Maybe the oil caused the coilpack to fail? I don't know, I'm not too clued up on engines. Will keep searching, see what I can find.