Help On Windows Steaming Up

PhilW

Reaction score
Its driving me nuts now, I can't drive in it at all without the windows steaming up.

Battery tray and grommets are clear, so its not coming from there, carpets seem dry to me but i know they're pretty thick and elevated slightly from the floor plan.

Any ideas or places where i can check to see if theres water ingress?

Its a 02 plate Pd130 Avant.

Thanks. :)

is there anything damp kept in the boot ie golf clubs ?

there is a vent on the saloons (i know this doesnt count on your part philW) under the high level break light which goes directly into the boot and any moisture from the boot area may make your windows steam up.

Nothing damp kept in the car no.

Ill check the boot and rear lights tomorrow to see of there's anything coming in there.

It's a possibility, in the olden day when sunroofs were common it was usually the first place to look.

pollen filter i have had this on mine when i first got the car was doing this so chanded it lasted about 2 years and it started doing it again the other week so put a new one in and all is fine again. it will not stop it complitly but a good 80%

No sunroof on mine, and im sure i changed the pollen filter about 6 months ago when i bought it. I'll double check tho.

Do these have the same problem as the Passat with the pollen filter seal breaking down causing water ingress?

Thanks tho people. :)

I have had a leak on mine from around the ECU box, remove the drivers side lower panel, look up with a torch while someone pours water over the screen.

I'll check there as well. lol.

I think ive found some small issues, theres a chunk taken out of the high level brake light that wouild let in water im sure which im going to seal.

Also my rear washer isnt working which comes out into the boot along with a rubber seal misplaced on the boot.

I think it might not be one thing but a few small leaks adding up.

can you let us know how you get on with this philW as i have the same problem

If theres water in the boot on an Avant this would cause the condensation,My last Avant seemed to take in water around the light clusters cos they werent tight and someone had left the flaps which should direct rain outside the clusters tucked inside probably when bulb changing.My current Avant had a slight leak in the washer line where it had been pinched in the gaiter from the roof .The other sympton was the weak jet of water which was only obvious when looking at the power of the jet on another Avant

Bringing this back from the dead.

Had the carpets up on the passenger side. Bone dry.

Checked the HVAC flaps in operation, no issues.

Pulled the HVAC pipe and checked, not blocked.

Plenum drains not blocked.

Next up is to check round the rear lights again and check the drivers side carpets to see if theres water coming in through the ECU seal.

Anything else to check?

And also clean the windows.

Thanks.

Ok checked the plenums again, both blocked but not much water there, probably about a pint of water. How much before it gets into the car?

Nothing in the boot or under the drivers side carpet.

Im just thinking its the windows that need a ****** good cleaning.