Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Audi's Take on Quattro, FWD and RWD....

I got an email from Audi today - they're doing their annual big up quattro thing.

This article on their website, explaining the relative benefits of each system, was interesting:
    quattro < Our technologies < Audi innovation < Audi UK

Is it just me or are they blatantly anti-RWD because their main rival is the only mainstream manufacturer to produce primarily RWD cars. Can't argue with how good quattro is, but come on, RWD is awesome in most situation outside of wet/snow, especially if you love driving. And I know what I would rather correct in terms of oversteer or understeer.
    B6 S4
    MillTech
    Uprated Brakes, Braided Lines
    Eibach ARBs
    Carbon Roof
    AMD, 351 BHP
    Best MPG 33.6
    Av MPG 25.5

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I think if they're going to put the eggs in a basket or 2, I would say it makes sense to put them in the 2 that their main rival don't really bother with.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
    but come on, RWD is awesome in most situation outside of wet/snow, especially if you love driving. And I know what I would rather correct in terms of oversteer or understeer.
    I agree, but for Mr & Mrs Joe Public oversteer is dangerous and uncontrollable.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

3rd Gear

Status
    Agree with quattrojames on this, for 99% of the general public FWD has less issues and gets you into less problems, which is why 99% of main car manufacturers build FWD products.

I'm fortunate in that I come from a motorsport background and have worked for a major car manufacturer who sent me on a few high performance driving courses, RWD is epic in the right conditions and with the right driver at the wheel, unfortunately for most people it causes more problems than they can cope with.....

BMW are about to start offering the 5 series with 4WD across the range, which says volumes in my book......
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

4th Gear

Status
    Manufacturers build front wheel drive products for packaging and cost reasons in the main, not because they think 99% of Joe Public couldn't cope with anything else.

Most do however setup cars with an understeer bias, because as you say, it's generally safer on a road and in extremis.

It's quite possible to setup a front wheel drive car to be more lively at the back in corners, just as its possible to setup a four wheel drive car to understeer, like my B6!

As for Audi bigging up four wheel drive, why not? It's their unique selling point, as rear wheel drive is with BMW.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It's quite possible to setup a front wheel drive car to be more lively at the back in corners,
    Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5