Audi A4 B6 1.8t Sline

rossk26

Reaction score
Hello Audi Sport members,

I am looking at changing my car situation, I currently own an 08 Focus ST but the running costs are ridiculous, and I want something with a bit more prestige. So therefore I am looking at the Audi...

Firstly I wanted a 2.0tdi B7 Avant, but after some advice on other forums and reading up a lot on there problems I have been steered away from getting one.

My plan now is to get a cheaper Audi, but a petrol (as I only do around 10k miles a year). I have been looking at the B6 A4 1.8t sport/sline model as I have always loved the looks of it, and it has all the kit I want from an Audi.

So my questions are....

What should I be looking for?
What are the running costs on the car (tax, insurance, petrol, tyres etc...)?

Any alternatives I should be looking at?
My budget is £6,000 (petrol) and up to £10,000 if you can find me a solid diesel variant :)

Look out for signs of rot on the bottom of the doors and under the arches, check servicing history as poor servicing can lead to the 'Oil sludge' problem

Im guessing you're not after a quattro

In the interior, check the glove box hinge isn't broken, the armrest catch and seat electrics and functions

My quattro I get about 35mpg on a long run and 27-30mpg through town

Tax is £260 p/a or £143 for 6 months

Tyres for mine were £142 each but they're 235 s-line's, can get 225's for £100

Hope this helps

Hi Dubbers1,

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't mind a quattro to be honest, the 35mpg you quote there I will be more than happy with :). I currently get no better than 26mpg in my Focus ST.

Then you have no excuse not to join us and make up the B6 numbers, the 1.8T's are also very tuneable and will still return a good mpg on motorway runs

Definately buy the quattro, their handling is far superior to front wheel drive only audis.

Then you have no excuse not to join us and make up the B6 numbers, the 1.8T's are also very tuneable and will still return a good mpg on motorway runs

Indeed I will :). I am aware of the tuning capabilities of the 1.8t block, I see it's used a lot in other models. Glad to hear about the improved mpg figures I will be receiving too

Thanks for your help mate

seems nice enough, price maybe high but that price will be trade in price if you have cash you would probably get it for £5500.
just make 100% sure the mileage is genuine with a recent hpi report and i would also check its mot history online for free.
also the advert claims its black but it looks more of a lighter charcoal colour to me, my jet black a4 would gleam under them lighting conditions, it may just need a good polish.

Last edited:
seems nice enough, price maybe high but that price will be trade in price if you have cash you would probably get it for £5500.
just make 100% sure the mileage is genuine with a recent hpi report and i would also check its mot history online for free.
also the advert claims its black but it looks more of a lighter charcoal colour to me, my jet black a4 would gleam under them lighting conditions, it may just need a good polish.

Thanks for the info, I thought the same about the colour. It almost looks navy blue!

Rossk26. Treat yourself to a s-line 190T Q or FWD they are a fantastic car with bag loads of tuning options. I have had mine for 4 years now and it still makes me smile.

As with any potential S-Line purchase it's always worth checking the V5 to make sure it's a genuine model.

As with any potential S-Line purchase it's always worth checking the V5 to make sure it's a genuine model.

Very True James the log book should state S-LINE. If not it's not the real deal.

Hi mate, I have a '54' plate 1.8T S-Line FWD Avant with the CVT auto 'box and also an '08' ST3 so hopefully you will find my input useful:

As said above, tax is £260pa - same as the ST

Insurance for me and the wife is approximately £100 more pa on the ST

Tyres - 225/40 18's on the ST, not much different to the A4's 235/40's

MPG - ST currently getting 26.6 and the A4 I get between 28 and 31 so not a massive difference. That is pretty much identical journeys and driving styles.

I don't think you will necessarily make the massive savings on running costs that you think you will by switching to the A4. They are both big and relatively expensive to run cars. The practicality of an avant is why I have mine, and for looks it had to be the S-Line, such an understated but sporty look.

IMHO the A4 is a really well built car and great for cruising and long journeys, but when I want to go for a 'drive' the ST wins every time (what a noise!).

Hope that helps.

just going to say the same your not going to see a massive difference in fuel costs between your st and a 1.8t m8

I don't think you will necessarily make the massive savings on running costs that you think you will by switching to the A4. They are both big and relatively expensive to run cars. The practicality of an avant is why I have mine, and for looks it had to be the S-Line, such an understated but sporty look.

IMHO the A4 is a really well built car and great for cruising and long journeys, but when I want to go for a 'drive' the ST wins every time (what a noise!).

Hope that helps.

Yes the ST has a fantastic noise, mine pops and bangs like mad on when i lift of the accelerator. I firstly wanted to have impressive mpg savings, as that is what is hurting my wallet at the moment with the ST. But on the bigger picture, cashing in on £4-5k difference in selling the ST, and not having as bad of a depreciation is what apeals me to the A4 overall.

I won't save much on fuel, but I couldn't live with a boring diesel, and all the peformance diesels, come with problems I hear.

By transfering to the A4 I will earn roughly £500 a year on interest when I put the money into my savings account. I will also see a little bit of a better mpg return. And also there is the depreciation value. I have already lost £2,500 on the ST in a year, I won't see anything like this on the A4.

What I really want is my ST to return 40mpg, but that will never happen :(

Hi, I'm on the look out for one of these.
I know the 1.8T quite well as I've just put one in my Corrado so thinking of getting a 1.8T avant s-line quattro.
What's difference between the 163 and 190 bhp models. Is it the turbo, K03 vs K03s or is it just the ECU map. Any other physical differences, suspension etc.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but seemed relevant to the discussion.
Thanks
Alex

I'm not wise on the 1.8T so will leave some one else to answer the engine differences.

The only differences between the Sport and the S-Line's are cosmetic (apart from the 190 engine), ie perforated leather steering wheel and gaitor, aluminium kick plates etc.

Thanks for the response, so one with a 163 engine is not a true s-line?

Correct. All S-Lines (B6's) have the 1.8T 190 engine, and can be fwd or quattro.

Correct S-Line are 190T Q or FWD 6 speed S-Line emblems inside and outside 18's as standard with 235x40x18 tyres, the list goes on

OK, thanks, that clears things up and narrows down my search.
So, just so I'm completely clear, these 2 would have just had the s-line bodykit option specifed at purchase?
another 163
Apologies for probably rather simple questions!

From mid-late 2003 all Sport models were fitted with the Gmbh bodykit, known (not strictly accurately) as the S-Line 'style'.

Correct S-Line are 190T Q or FWD 6 speed S-Line emblems inside and outside 18's as standard with 235x40x18 tyres, the list goes on

Were all the S-Lines manuals Colin?

From mid-late 2003 all Sport models were fitted with the Gmbh bodykit, known (not strictly accurately) as the S-Line 'style'.
My initial reply is delayed for approval. I think this comment answered my question why some 163's are advertised as s-line. Falsely by the sounds of it.

Probably more through ignorance than an actual intent to mislead I expect.

Mine is a genuine (as stated on V5) S-Line and has the 6 speed CVT auto 'box...

It was actually your comment on another thread that made me ask the question.

I certainly didn't know the S-Line came with the CVT box.

I also believe "black headlining". The 190 bhp s-lines have 2 intercoolers, where i believe the 163 only has 1. Pretty sure the turbo is different also.

S-line has 18" rims 235 wide, S-Line kick plates on all 4 door sills, also obviously "S-Line" in the logbook.

I also believe "black headlining". The 190 bhp s-lines have 2 intercoolers, where i believe the 163 only has 1. Pretty sure the turbo is different also.

What is the turbo in the 190 K03 ?... I am curious . Ta

Thanks man

Just trying to get acquainted with what's under the bonnet

That is a nice looking car and not a bad price at that mileage but cant see the car or spec on dealers website.

Looks like the previous owner has done a bad attempt at some colour coding, the front grills look a mess, being s line ones not sure how much they are from a dealer, could maybe just respray them black and hope some come up on ebay....

Looks a good car apart from the Side Grill's. I noticed that the steering wheel is Not Perforated on the car.

Looks a good car apart from the Side Grill's. I noticed that the steering wheel is Not Perforated on the car.

Without trying to sound like a dumb blonde. What does that mean :unsure: