S4 needs oil already....surely not?

GSCollie

Reaction score
Just been out for a bank holiday drive with my young lady today and having just notched over 5700 miles the oil warning DIS inidicator comes on... WHAT THE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!!

Surely this is a mistake or means something is wrong with the car, or has anyone else had to refill oil so early?

I haven't even had the chance to stress the engine yet since I have only had it four months now, I'm now worried there is something wrong or more importantly I've done something wrong and won't get whatever it is fixed under warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

Has anyone out there suffered the same with their B6 S4 or any B6 for that matter?

If I had wanted to fill oil as regularly as this seems to now need I would have bought an RX-8! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Is the car brand new?? If so don't panic, everything in the engine department will be brand new, therefore there will be a certain amount of oil usage, this will decrease through time as the engine becomes more **Ahem** worn and the rings gain a layer of carbon on them. Just keep an eye in the level s at least once/twice a week to be safe and always carry some spare oil. Don't panic just yet....

The car is brand new. I just find it highly unusual as I had an S3 previously and it only needed an oil top up apart from at servicing of course, just the once. Then again it is a bigger engine in every sense. Still seems a little early but I'll bite my tongue before giving Audi a backlash.

Thanks for the immediate reassurance.

With the PD engines they give you a litre of oil with the car as they're known to use some early on in their lives. Ours is coming up for 5k miles and has used just over a litre. I've heard of some using 2 or 3 times that amount.

I didn't baby our car when we got it (didn't thrash it either) and that appears to be the way to low oil consumption. I can imagine that with the S4 you don't get a chance to use it's full potential much so probably the rings take longer to seat.

As 28v6 said, get some oil and keep an eye on the consumption in future.

Apparently this is the norm for the V8 engine!! Mines exactly the same, it doesn't improve with age.... It is ****** annoying.

My 2.0 (yes i know, not in the same league as you chaps ) had the same problem 1ltr every 1k - It was ****** awful - Then Audi fitted a new Cylinder head under warranty - It's fine now - But I'd be sure the S4 uses a little more oil due to the "slight" power increase over the 2.0 ;-)

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly I'm amazed that someone would spend a load of money on a new car and not check the fluids at least monthly. You should do this on any car not least a performance model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always makes me cringe when people wait for the "She's gonna blow Capin" light before they check the oil. I had to put 3 ltrs in a customers car last week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif . It only takes 4 with a filter change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Don't forget the tyre pressures too ...........

Thanks for that, the tyre pressures are just fine and are checked every 3-4 weeks. I'm not a Mercedes Driver you know!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

As for the oil I have been checking it and the consumption was nominal, i.e. just below the max mark when cold 6 weeks ago (last time I did a 500+ mile run in it). That's why I found it odd that in six weeks all of a sudden the light comes on. But then thinking about it I have done 2000+ miles of the 5700 on the clock.

However if it is the norm then I don't have so much of a problem with it and will keep topping her up with the black stuff. Just in the back of my mind that when we manage to get AVS you would think oil consumption would have been improved as well. It'll probably use as much oil as my dad's old Rover SD1 3500!

Can't have everything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

guys... dont understand why your annoyed at having to maintain your car once every month or more...

just think how many times you wash your car...

or every moning of shaving infront of the mirror....

if putting oil in your car is the worst thing in your life then you must have a very good life....

No just my last car i didnt have to put oil in it at all between services and i did regularly check it. Now putting oil in every month just another expense.

Ditto CJ B6,

I had an S3 before this as mentioned above and no problems like this. It's just wierd that it needs regular fill ups of oil as do many new cars it would seem.

I could empathise with you richy and would have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif in the first instance if I had upgraded from a small corsa of something of that ilk, but S3's and TT's were never known for their massive oil consumption.

Anyway, it wasn't really a complaint, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me it was happening to and was part of the norm. I can survive having to top up regularly so long I know I have to and that it doesn't drink oil as much as it does petrol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that, the tyre pressures are just fine and are checked every 3-4 weeks. I'm not a Mercedes Driver you know!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
Working in the trade makes you like this!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Soz ! Treat everyone like an idiot and we'll get along fine .......... Thats my motto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My 3.0 ate a lot of oil in it's first 10k miles of usage. I think it went through around 2-3 quarts of oil. I've got over 64,000km on it now and it doesn't require any additional oil between oil changes.

That oil consumption is perfectly ok. I put in about 3 litres in the first 15k miles (service at 19k) after which it has really calmed down but it is still getting through about 0.5 litres every 5k miles.

Best check the oil when the engine is warm (>10 mins after switch off) rather than cold. It can be hard to see the mark on the stick though. Its easiest always to carry a litre of oil with you at all times. Enjoy the car.

[ QUOTE ]
I can thouroghly recommend the AMD Stage 3 Upgrade........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish i could get any sort of upgrade...i even emailed amd and miltek to try and get an exhaust as my stock one is starting to blow a little and noone can help me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Was thinking about an AMD Stage 3 upgrade but two things stop me.

1/ Warranty, waiting until it expires on the cats at least especially when the car is on PCP, just in case....

2/ The cost. I'm not convinced by Milltek, heard an even mixture of good and bad reports on the system and knocking noises but more importantly how much the system is. AMD are quoting £699 fitted for a back cat system whereas Advanced Automotive Systems in Newcastle will custom build a cat back system with grade 304 for less than £500 notes and I don't have to make the pilgrimage to Banbury. Bearing in mind a remap would be about £400-500 they are also quoting hi flow sports Cats and downpipes at £700-800. In total £1800 max whereas AMD is quoting just £2750. Now I'm not saying it is the same and bhp will be similar but it wouldn't be too far off the 400bhp mark?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mind you I think the rollers were slipping!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhheem yeah good one mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

It's that difficult choice bhp per £.

You are lucky Just Plain Old living in Warwickshire and being in close proximity to AMD. Someone has told me that Stage 3 is a 2 day job, so by the time I drive down and back knowing how frugal the V8's are, stay in a hotel and entertain myself and the wife whilst it is being done, we are talking about (including saving at AAS) of £1200-1300 for around 14bhp approximately. Worth the trip....../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif