iPhone ashtray dock (build thread)

boya

Reaction score
Decided after seeing something similar on a BMW to have a bash at making my own, here are some pics of it do far, I am a engineer so machining aluminium isn't a problem
ea2dcbe9.jpg

d74457d4.jpg

f96e48c8.jpg

My plan is to wire the dock to a fm transmitter in the glove box for a while before hard wiring it to the head unit, I can't stand wires so thought I would give this a go, to finish it off I am going to use carbon wrap and maybe mill a slot along the side to allow the ashtray light to illuminate the dock. I will keep posting updates. Let me know what you's think

Nice work, going to be good I'm sure. I look forward to updates :thumbsup:

Cheers lads, I thought about knocking a few up but the time it takes on a manual machine to make one of these it works out far too long! But if anyone has CNC programming skills and access to a machine it wouldn't take long at all. Plastic moulding would be the best option but that's way out of my area lol. I have just managed to get it all glued in place so I will take another picture when it is dry :)

Right then, who's got access to a CNC milling machine, would be very interested in obtaining one of these.......

now this is the sort of thing that makes me smile the most, the DIY mod, one who knows where he is going and what it must do and look like at the end, keep at this as a plastic version could end up making you a lot of money in the end, keep me posted!

Cheers for the comments lads. It's getting there..

d7b0dd35.jpg

And a side view showing the angle the phone will sit at.

0e071575.jpg

Can't wait to have a trial fit tonight :) maybe get it wrapped and fitted next week sometime.

Well done that man there ! I Want one ! how you going to hard-wire it to the stereo and what stereo do you have ?

Last edited:
Am not sure about the fitment to our head units but the one you are looking at uses the headphone jack on the phone to pick up the audio, the dock I have made needs to use the docking point on the phone.

didn't notice that,so would need the more expensive one, even so the pictures the same as our concert stereo but it does say 2005 on for Audi A4 so there must be something different on the back off the A4 B7 stereos...

I think they plug into the cd changer port in the back of the head unit so maybe something was changed?

Here is a picture of it (trial fitted.) need to get a hole cutter to allow the cables to pass through and allow it to sit flush, but all looks well at the minute.
fa0bab80.jpg

Cracking mod fella , i work in a cnc machine shop so i might "copy" your idea !
My x car link interface plugs into the multi changer port on my Bose head unit !

My x car link interface plugs into the multi changer port on my Bose head unit !

There is a fibreglass facility where I work so might see about getting a mould made so I can produce a few fibreglass versions, but that's something to think about once this one is done, does your x car link charge you phone too mate?

There is a fibreglass facility where I work so might see about getting a mould made so I can produce a few fibreglass versions, but that's something to think about once this one is done, does your x car link charge you phone too mate?

Yes mate ! Only problem is that you have to sort your music into 5 play lists ! Makes it easier to navigate ! Bought it off them direct , 90 bucks posted (I think)

Sweet, am going to see how the 7 quid fm transmitter in the glove box holds up first but no doubt I will be looking for one soon lol.

is there a multi changer port on the concert 2001-2004..

Sweet, am going to see how the 7 quid fm transmitter in the glove box holds up first but no doubt I will be looking for one soon lol.

I bought one of these from halfords first ! Then everytime I drove through Birmingham it kept picking up pirate bangra stations lol !

Cool project.... Graffiti in the background of one of your piccys made me laugh too lol

Looks like someone beat me to it :( lol

AUDIB6V2AV

But $149!!!! No thanks lol

That's about £85,,, the adapter kit is £53.80 so this works out at another £27 approx,, HHhhmm not that bad the difference if you haven't got the ability , tools or materials to make one...

Reactions: DAZ1985
That's about £85,,, the adapter kit is £53.80 so this works out at another £27 approx,, HHhhmm not that bad the difference if you haven't got the ability , tools or materials to make one...

Do you get the adapter kit with it?? I must of read it wrong. I thought that was just for the dock lol!! not bad at all really then!

I use one of these hard wired and all hidden in behind the stereo, charges the ipod too, really clear quality unlike the cheaper ones, and i have never picked up anything else appart from the ipod.

Connects 2 iPod Car Kit | iConnect FM

depends what you want, for me i wanted somthing to charge from the dock port, and i wanted to be able to leave it conneced all the time as i only use the ipod in the car, because of this and because of the canbus system the Audi uses, i put in a little 12v rocker switch with a LED on the top, that means i can switch it on and off without disconnecting the ipod all the time.
Hope that helps:icon_thumright:

I like that, does it go into the actual ariel?

Don't think it affects signal, I have seen alloy covers for the iPhone but I guess I will just have to wait and see if mine does anything.

Update...

Cut the ashtray to allow the wire to pass through

9764d653.jpg

Trial fitted

fb46cb03.jpg

Carbon wrapped

b249c2b9.jpg

Done!

3bcf0b46.jpg

e0977882.jpg

Am over the moon with the end result. :)

Nice work that

All these links are confusing though, which kit works with concert stereos?

if its got a multi changer port will 2005> kits work? work as in change the tracks through headunit not in ipod/iphone?