1.8t Valve Seals

Z82

Reaction score
Website
www.nosmodified.com
Just bumped in to a mate (fellow Audi lover) who was telling me a guy at his work is selling an 03 A4 1.8t (dunno if its quattro but who cares for 300 lol) for £300 :ermm:
Apparently is had a new turbo but valve seals are gone, Im assuming at that price it has no MOT or tax either. My mate wanted it but cant afford it with Xmas in the not too distant future and offered it to me. I was planning an A3 1.8tq next year for my second Audi but I'd happily have this privided its not a fortune to do.

So my question is... is this a big job and are parts expensive, a ball park figure all in would be nice to give me an idea and should I look at anything else related that this may cause/ of caused? BTW its had a new turbo recently.

If you buy a head gasket set from GSF you get a set of valve seals included! Kit costs £54. To replace the valve seals you'll need the rest of the kit anyway plus head bolts. Only other thing you'll need a spring compressor to get the colletts off to replace the seals! Personally I'd be surprised if the seals are gone. What symptoms are the car showing?

Cheers for reply, Ive yet to speak to the guy to get all the details, I did find it a little strange though especially if the kits that cheap and im assuming a couple hours tops for labour?

If your talking about removing the head, and doing the seals then it's way more than a couple of hours of work. I would say £500-£600 just to replace the HG & valve seals. Also while the cars in bits I would have the cambelt, water pump & stat replaced.

Mark, the seals are a pain to do, best part of a day to remove, lap and refit valves. I'd also get the actual brass guides done too while the head is off.

A mate of mine had a head off already and the engineering company replaced the guides, lapped the valves and fitted new seals for a round £100.. Bargain mate, trust me..

Ah cheers guys, was hoping I was getting a steal but I guess not, still cheap if I was prepared to do the work but wife would kill me for getting a 5th vehicle on my 3 car driveway when its a non runner lol

does it have decent oil of cheapo ****e could help !!! have seen a few smoke 1.8t in my time due to valve guide seals