Poor man's Xenons.... advice please

I

imported_gekko

I really wish my A4 3.0 Quattro had xenons- can't believe they come as standard on a VW Polo GTI!

My mate suggested "poor man's xenon" bulbs with a ring round 'em.

I've seen H-7 bulbs advertised on ebay for around £13 but can't find any decent pics of cars that have had them fitted. Are they the same which cause the headlight fault indicator to light up? Also can I get anyone to fit them? Do they look crap???

I have gone back to a car without xenons after having them in the last 3 and at first was really disapointed with the standard halogens.

However I bought some Philips bulbs, 50% brighter not the blue looking ones, and this made a big difference. I also adjusted the lights so they stretch out further down the road, as the beam was far too short as standard, at first I got flashed by 2 cars and pulled over and knocked them back a touch, and I have now been driving round with them for 3 months with no problem, and really don't miss the xenons either.

[ QUOTE ]
I really wish my A4 3.0 Quattro had xenons- can't believe they come as standard on a VW Polo GTI!

My mate suggested "poor man's xenon" bulbs with a ring round 'em.

I've seen H-7 bulbs advertised on ebay for around £13 but can't find any decent pics of cars that have had them fitted. Are they the same which cause the headlight fault indicator to light up? Also can I get anyone to fit them? Do they look crap???

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Osram SilverStars (+50%) in my mains and are great too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Yep, Osram silver stars in mine too, both dipped and main beam. Lots better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Osram silver stars- any decent suppliers? How much & where do I get them fitted? And even better, any pics???

You can get them off ebay for £16.00 deliveried. The local car shopy are charging £24.99. Just search for "Osram Silverstars" on ebay.

Right, got 'em..

aaaaarrrrgghh! How the hell do you get at the mountings to change them???

Yours, frustrated of Hampshire, with packet of bulbs still gripped in my mitt..

Have you looked in your manual?

That wasn't meant to sound like, RTFM, I can't remember if they tell you to take it into the dealer to change the bulbs.

Loads of people have done it themselves.

I managed to change the bulbs myself. You will need a torque screwdriver. You would be better off getting the ones that have long reach. If you need any advise please PM me.

In the UK you have to have auto leveling and head light washers to be legal (or so I believe)

[ QUOTE ]
thats correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only on new cars

The weird thing is we just picked up an 04 cab and there are no washers, which I thought was a legal requirement?
Xenons are on the orginal specs of the car, so they have not been added at a later date. So just wondering what will happen at the first MOT? not that I will keep it for 2 years but still intrigued.

it is a legal requirement, on new cars only, if you dont have washers on your lights then you dont have factory fit xenon.

I would either complain to the garage you bought the car from if they advertised xenon as a selling feature, or if bought privately check the book spec and see if it should have xenon as standard, if so go to the nearest Audi dealer and ask why they forgot to put washers on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

why do you need washers? Does the beam get really distorted if the lights get dirty?