2.5 TDI - Drive Belt Possibly Broke - No Power Steering & Battery Light On.

mystic.bertie

Reaction score
hi there, today i started the car and immediately found the steering heavy, i drove away, the power steering started working again but then it had gone and the battery light came on.

Im not sure if its the drive belt that gone or the tensioner, is there an easy way to gain access and check to see what the problem is. Do i need to check from underneath the car?

whats involved in changing this belt? i have done lots of searching of forums and the web but i cant seem to find a diagram or write up.

I would think it's all hidden behind the timing belt cover, you might be able to lever the cover aside and shine a torch down inside?

I'm sure the front will have to be pulled out to at least the service position to change it.

Here's a diagram:

DRivebelt.jpg

thanks for that james, is there just the one drive belt on this engine apart from the cam belt? Ill go and have a look with a torch and a lever, the space is quite limited though, will have a go.

I 'think' there is also a belt for the fuel pump and another for the aircon compressor.

I 'think' there is also a belt for the fuel pump and another for the aircon compressor.

cheers james, i got the top timing belt covers off, i got a hold of the belt, it was loose but when i pulled it most of the way out, it was still whole, so does it sound like this may be the tensioner thats gone ??