Weak Front Wiper Motor

Lowride

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I recently purchased new front wiper blades from Halfords as my old ones were worn out. I took one of the old ones in with me to make sure I got the right ones.

Since fitting the new ones the motor barely moves them across the screen and they often stop half way.

I ASSUME the wiper motor needs replacing but even the breakers want £70 so thought I would ask around first..

Cheers

the wiper mech. is known to seize up. There might be a sticky on here about replacing or repairing a rusted mech.

hi mate before i started blameing the wiper motor i would look at the spindles that drive the wiper arms . these are notorious for seizing in the carrier due to rust . i had the same happen on my 04 a4 avant i had to strip the wiper machanism out of the car strip it down and clean the spindles with emery cloth and give them a good greasing . do a search for seized wiper arms it is a very common problem

It's pretty straightforward, the fiddly bit is getting the mechanism out from the bulkhead.

And getting the wiper arms off the spindles which can be almost impossible.

Don't try and lever them off like i did as you'll crack the screen!!!

with lots of plus gas they should wiggle off by holding the arm and moving up and down rather than trying to pull them straight off (if you know what i mean)