Winter tyres/wheels - thoughts

jbcalvin

Reaction score
Morning guys,

I have a 1.9TDI quattro sport avant and have just managed to acquire a set of 17" S4 wheels to replace the standard 16" jobs ( I have given up trying to find a set of 18" versions at a reasonable price)

I live in Scotland where we do have pretty bad weather conditions in the winter, I have seen great reports on normal tyres such as the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's performing very well in adverse weather, particularly with quattro's so do I get a set of these / something similar such as Falken 452's or do I get a set of winter tyres and then change them next year......

The other option would be to get winter tyres for the 16" wheels and store the S4's until next spring, I do maybe 6-8000 miles a year.... also what size do I need for the 17's, I think it is 235/45/17????????

Thoughts and opinions please....

Steve

get a set of studded tyres and slap them on your 16s for when the white stuff comes down matey and watch the world go by as you retain complete control as everyone else slips and slides :)
Failing that if you can get your hands on Nokian WR tyres for winter you'll be a happy man. They are well respected in southern parts of scandinavia (where they've been developed) for when you can't justify studded tyres all winter Nokian WR D3 *** edit ** Those are good tyres but I actually meant to post the link to these Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Last edited:
I've just bought a set of Continental WinterContact tyres - 235x45x17. If I lived in Scotland, I'd deffo get a set of either winter, or studded tyres for when the white stuff comes down. Bear in mind that studded tyres are for use on snow/ice, and NOT on tarmac, whatever the temp. They tend to be used in countries where there's a covering of snow/ice for 4-5 months during the winter. If that's NOT the case where you are, I wouldn't get studded tyres.
I'd get a set of winter tyres for your 16" wheels, and get summer tyres next year for your S4 17" wheels. The size you need is as you stated - 235x45x17.
If you get harsh cold weather conditions where you live, the quattro will definately benefit from winter tyres.

the perfect plan would be decent non-studded winter tyres for wet and slushy conditions and a set of steels or old alloys with studded tyres just to pull out when it has snowed. If it snows you either have studded tyres or you crawl about and try not to crash, no matter how good your non-studded tyres are. I'm stunned that the emergency services in the UK don't have sare wheels with studded tyres ready to go for when it has snowed. A little blue bird told me that he slides about in a ford focus like joe public if it snows. amazing.
So really it depends if the next couple of winters will be like that last couple in Scotland and how essential it is that you keep moving. Without going to the lengths of buying studded tyres just for snow use I'd definitely recommend a really good set of winter tyres though.
Perfect studded tyre Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7
perfect non studded tyre Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

I'm Scottish and live in Finland by the way so although it's easy for me to switch to studded tyres for 6 months I wish I'd had the wit and money to have spare wheels and studded tyres when I lived in Scotland. If nothing else you could earn a fortune as a taxi driver with studded tyres. You'd be one of the only vehicles on a British road actually moving about in full control of your car :)

Last edited:
Fourcircle, cheers for the heads up on Nokians, unfortunately they are pretty hard to come by in the UK, in terms of use, it is mainly city/motorway/a-roads however I am a bit of a winter sports nut so tend be heading up to places like Glencoe/Aviemore if the snow is good enough....

Any one used Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol, these are priced pretty good at £86 each........

aye you won't find them in quik-fit that's for sure. If you really wanted them I could find out about getting them locally and sending them over to you though.
re the pirellis, the blurb on the winter snowcontrols says "A new “Green Performance” winter tyre for city and compact cars developed to perform in all road conditions. " I would have thought the sottozeros would be better for you WINTER SOTTOZERO SERIE II, Car tyres, Winter tyres - PIRELLI
I have these cheeky little numbers so I'd say Pirelli definitely know their winter tyres WINTER CARVING EDGE, Car tyres, Winter tyres - PIRELLI

It was the sotto zero's I was looking at fourcircle, so unless anyone else has any suggestions, these will be the ones I'll be getting on payday.....

Hi @jbcalvin and everyone else!

It would be great to know your exact engine to tell you what winter tyre will fit a different size rim, however if you have a 2001 1.9 TDI 130, then the sizes suitable for your vehicle would be :

15" Rims : 195 65 R15 91V - 205 60 R15 91V - 205 65 R15 94V

16" Rims : 205 55 R16 91W - 215 55 R16 93Y

17" Rims : 235 45 R17 94Y

18" Rims : 235 40 R18 91Y

(All sizes are winter mountings)

For more information you can have a look here : Winter tyres, winter tyre comparison, winter tyre prices and buying guide.

As for studded tyres, they are illegal on a road where they are considered to do damage to the road surface, so on a road with no snow on it. I'm sure that in Scotland you will more than likely come across a road with no snow on it. It would be better not to invest in this type of tyre. If you require more help, then contact the AA.

If you are looking for a dealer that stocks Nokian tyres, you should try using rezulteo tyre, to find the tyre best suited for your vehicle, and then find a retailer. You can even compare prices, so it'll be cheaper for you!

Hope this all helps, if you have any more questions, just message me.

Jack