1.9 130 engines.. opinions?

marcuswomersley

Reaction score
Hi, newbie to the forum, im considering buying an a4 b6 with a 1.9 130 enigne. Can i have peoples opinions on this engine, particually the fueling system and how reliable they are. Ive researched them and the have unit injectors and are costly to replace. are they prone to failing? Thanks

One of the best but you will find many prefer the 2.5Tdi like me

Well im only 19 so insurance is an issue. are they reliable engines? and what could i expect from a stage 1 re map?

yeah those engines take well to a remap. revo i think quote around 170 for stage 1...?? i've driven many but never owned one, howener from what i've read and heard they seem reliable enough and that remap does transform the drive a bit :)

Very reliable but you have too keep on top of the oil changes with the right oil. I'd plump for every 5-6k which might sound ludicrous but is worth it.

yeah ive just looked up the remap, 170hp and 280ftlb's ! do they give more power lower down? Ive never driven a diesel properly so im not really sure what there like to drive. I'd imagine there better to drive than my 1.6 leon?

1.6 leaon is yet another car i've had the privilege of driving and not owning.. imo yeah the diesel drives better, and yeah the power in diesels is all to do with the torque as diesels generally have more of it than petrols and also peak power in diesels is lower down the rev range as they run out of puff quicker. the 1.9 will feel quicker to drive and with the remap it will give good mid range punch. and those engines as far as i'm aware aren't plagued with all the dpf killers in newer diesel engines - basically if you're not doing longer journeys and just sticking round town the dpf gets all clogged up and then injectors start failing and all sorts..! but thats mostly on newer tech when dpfs were put in place! essay!

I had that engine in a 2003 A3 sport and thought it was rapid perhaps a little noisy but otherwise superb.

Hi Marcus,

I have a 2003 B6 A4 1.9 TDi Quattro Sport 130 and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it.

I've owned some very quick cars before (Leon Cupra R 225, MG ZS180 etc.) and I was worried that the diesel Audi would be a bit of a letdown with just 128bhp, but I was pleasantly surprised. Its not rapid, but its a punchy unit with a nice surge of torque and doesn't even sound too bad.

The normal FWD model has just 210lb/ft for torque and the heavier quattro model gets 229lb/ft and so that is possibly the one to go for. Of course, the heavier Quattro system dulls acceleration slightly, pushes up the CO2 a bit and lowers MPG a fraction so that is worth considering.

I'm strongly considering a remap sometime in the future but will deffo get the EGR valve bypassed and the turbo and inlet manifold cleaned out first.

I do a mixture of driving and get a whisker under 40mpg out of a tank (510 miles in total) which is pretty good.

Like people have said, regular oil changes with the proper PD oil should see the car run smoothly and reliably.

Hope this is of use.

J

Virtually Bulletproof as long as the oil is changed regularly, mine's on 127k & had been serviced regularly & sound's just as good as my mates which has only done 60k, these engines can handle poorer quality diesel ( what you find in europe) alot better than the newer common rail engines & they don't have the Piezo Injector problems that the B7's have.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful! And I would love to get the quattro version, but they are miles over my budget unfortunately. What is the special"PD oil"? is it just high grade oil?

The 130 engine is the VAG TDI PD 130 unit. The PD bit stands for Pulse Deuse (or something like that) and they need a special type of oil to avoid cam wear and other probs.

If you ask a supplier for oil that is designed for use with VW/Audi PD diesel engines you should get the right stuff.

From memory I think they have the numbers 505.01 on them (though I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong).

The 130 engine is a lot less prone to cam problems than the 150 engine used in the Golf and Seat Leon, but it is still vitally important that you use the right oil.

In the past I have used 5w 30 fully synthetic PD oil on my ex-missus' Golf GT TDi 150 and it worked very well.

Hope this helps.

J

As the other pointed they are quite reliable but run quick out of puff after 80-90 Mph. Be carefull with remap's as they very hard on the clutch and they tend to slip under the increased torque. Use of good quality PD spec oil is mandatory otherwise cam wear occurs. As Mike pointed, some (me included) preffer the broader,smoother power delivery of the v6 tdi lump...

really happy with my 130sport not a race car but it will certainly be in front of your leon m8, i just sold 20vt for mine and to be honest i love it, best thing for me is the mpg i get 600miles per tank but do 20 miles on dual carriageway to work if around town it still achieves around 500-530 with ease...... wanting mine mapping soon as stated they seem to drive lots better with the extra power etc.... but if im honest standard power is enough for me anyhows and even 70mph is just over 2k and plenty more umph left to go.......give 3k for mine few scratches not mint but looks sweet 18" toora alloys tdi sport,s line bumper skirts and door trims, full leather, tints all around needed brakes and tyres but 3k i cant moan, good for 300k all day once again if regulary oil changed and serviced, injectors faults are for the 140-170 2ltr tdi m8....good luck

I have a 1.9 tdi avant 130 andf it feels very quick.lots of low down grunt and mines done 178,000 and still feels good.

i have exactly the same car as you with same wheels but im on 190,000 miles :)
we also only live 10 miles apart.
B6 1.9tdi quattro avants in black seem to be rare and rarely come up for sale.

Last edited:
the PD engine will go forever if looked after

i have the 100bhp engine with over 250k on the clock and is spot on :)

i also know of a 130 with over 400k on the clock!! still going strong and runs as good as lower mileage ones!

another happy 130 a4 owner here, and would agree with all that has been said above.