Help Needed Guys!! Jumpstart has damaged my car?

Danb

Simples
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading this. I need some help with a problem that is doing my head in a little.

First off, I parked my car up for a week whilst I went away. My neighbor said my brake lights were on for a day or so. I have seen this happen once or twice where I come to the car in the morning and the brake lights are on, but as I drive it every day usually its been no big deal, besides, it's only happened three times in so many years.

Anyway, the battery was totally drained, so I decided to jump start off another vehicle.

Now my car has the airbag and ESP light coming on intermittently, it gives me warning lights for the headlight sensor and bulb failure, again intermittently, the language on the DIS has changed to german, I only have one trip function, not the two that I'm used to, and the car doesn't seem to have enough charge to turn the engine over, then after about ten turns it picks up and fires. Strange..

I have had the car plugged into a hand held diagnostics device where it threw up loads of codes from the steering wheel slip ring (airbag??) to the control module......

Have I fried something or reset the car to factory settings?? I really can't think of what it could be.

The car runs OK once started so I presume the ECU is still good.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Dan

I have charged the battery but to no use, the car starts fine, but soon drains the power.

Blocked plenum chamber leading to water in the ECU?

i would get it scanned using vag com you might be able to reset or clear most of your codes, if they come back straight away then unfortunately you might have damaged something

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will have to check the ecu for water ingress and I will see if any codes have come back today.

If anybody else has had or seen this sort of thing before let me know your views.

Cheers
Dan

I had this when the battery was disconnected for a week. my airbag module forgot the vin number of the car so threw the airbag light and the steering module forgot it as well. Had to use vagcom to relearn, change the language back to english and add the second trip function. I did have the instructions all written down on a scrap of paper but then as soon as it was all working it went in the bin. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it all again. do you have access to vagcom?

Also sounds like you need a new battery and a brake switch

brake switch
maybe battery
and get it on vcds and get the proper codes and post em up

Electronics do not like low voltages, they like on-off voltages. If your battery goes flat and you keep cranking until the dash lights go out, you run the risk of corrupting any of your electronic modules.

When jump starting, leave the donor car hooked up and running for a while to give some charge to your own battery before trying to start. This gives a cushion of power, as it were, that helps prevent too big a voltage drop during the start sequence.

It is unlikely you have damaged anything permanently. you may want to try disconnecting the battery (for at least a couple of minutes) and retrying, and if that doesn't work, then VCDS will be needed to clear all your fault codes.

You may well then want to look into what is causing your flat battery.

Hi Guys,

First off, I parked my car up for a week whilst I went away. My neighbor said my brake lights were on for a day or so. I have seen this happen once or twice where I come to the car in the morning and the brake lights are on, but as I drive it every day usually its been no big deal, besides, it's only happened three times in so many years.

I had the same problem and it was the brake switch fault;cost only 11£ to the stealer and is 10minutes job to change it.
Erase the fault codes and..that`s it!

Thanks for the replies guys,

I think i'm going to get a brake switch and a new battery and see if that works.

I will post some fault codes on here when I get them.

I worry i've damaged a control module of some sort.

Any more feedback would be appreciated guys.