s4 misfire/juddering

jutlis 3.0

Reaction score
on way home from adi my car seems to have developed what feels like a misfire. when engine is revved the car shakes particularly from about 2k. it still seems to pull reasonably but is definately not right. if it was a coilpack would it run worse than described and would it put engine management llight on as it has not come on. i appreciate it would be near impossible for anyone to diagnose but wondered if anyone had experianced anything similar or had a suggestion? im also thinking that as it has 8 cylinders a misfire wouldn't be as profound as on a smaller engined car? thanks in advance

sounds coilpack to me m8 but best to scan first ive seen a coilpack with intermittant fault not show up a engine light before....

finally there is light at the end of the tunnel! misfire eventually put engine management light on and got worse, got it read and just came up as random misfire on various cylinders so went down the route of new coilpacks,plugs injector clean new fuel filter and 2 new injectors and still no better so booked it in with main dealer who spent ages on it and diagnosed fault within inet manifold. long story short but we collected car and sourced another inlet manifold and still no better so out the engine came as there was nothing left that we could do. all stripped down we found faulty tensioners and some cracked guides and various other problems so renewed it all with dmf, clutch, crank and temp sensors, v belt and various other bits and pieces! its nearly finished now and fingers crossed it runs as sweet as!

Was hoping for you it was gonna be a simple fix. Thats worrying really. After all the work you are doing I really hope it runs as good as new, what was the mileage if you dont mind me asking and how long have you owned the S4. Good Luck.

hello rjm i went to see car last night and seems fine now, its done 95k i think and i've had it only about 8 months i could have tried to source a lower mileage engine but i really didnt see the point as it could have suffered the same problem and the actual engine seems fine. the fly wheel was changed as it had play in it and the clutch was changed as it was the original

sorry to hear about your troubles mate it was looking good at aitp, hopefully it will all be sorted soon ready for show season and some good weather :racer:

thanks for that mate gonna try and do the shows again this year done a few little jobs on it since aitp including fitting my cat back milli

nice bet that sounds awesome everyone can hear you coming now, need to sort mine out ready for the shows

you cant have too much to do surely it was looking real good last time i saw it

Cheers mate, it was pretty much finished but then i fitted coilies, i am putting a new interior in and probably going to get another set of alloys and maybe an S4 bumper if i can find one. What shows you doing this year??

Light at the end of the tunnel but the tunnel must be £50 a foot to walk through! Fair play to you for getting it right!

were the coilpacks replaced under warranty ???
there is a recall on faulty coil packs being done by audi at the moment on the s4

yeah they did but would only replace 6 as 2 were non genuine, the rest of it ive had to pay for!