Footwell lights.... I want them

rob irl tdi

Reaction score
Are they hard to do? I would like to do them and the puddle lights if possible.

My sport just has reflectors in door so not sure if the puddle lights can be done. But I'd really like to do the footwell lights if I can.

I've done my cruise, r-nse and DIS retro with no probs

I'm listening

Am I right in saying that some of the convenience modules don't support the footwell lights?

i wired them from my interior light, i know its not the accepted way but i wanted them all to come on when 1 door was opened as far as i know only the relevant one comes on when coded properly

You can wire it that way in the convenice module so they all come on when one door is open from what I read

I might do it that way

Just want clarity on it in case I do it the OEM way

i wired them from my interior light, i know its not the accepted way but i wanted them all to come on when 1 door was opened as far as i know only the relevant one comes on when coded properly

Swarcup, i'm thinking of going down this route too. Did you take the feed from the courtesy lamps in the roof and run the wires down the A pillar? Also, how did you get the wires to the seats (for the rear footwells) without any wires showing?

Cheers

Am I right in saying that some of the convenience modules don't support the footwell lights?

The Convenience module has various versions based on remote key fob radio frequency and inclusion/exclusion of vehicle alarm functionality & immobiliser aspects according to ETKA.
There is no reference that I can see to the "light package" compatibility, so this would suggest they are all compatible for retrofitting footwell lights - subject to module coding as indicated in my install thread previously linked in Post#2.

So can you tell me what type/size of wire I need in Maplins and what tools I need to get in there.

Asked on compatibility again of Convenience Modules with Footwell lights.... should share this with you all>>>>

Text description on how I fitted footwell lights to my "AJ" Convenience module (originally AH) is previously documented on this site - early days so not many pictures.
I go by what I said previously, convenience modules are different with respect to alarm and keyfob transmitter frequency requirements of different countries.
When looking in ETKA for variances in Convenience Module types there is no mention of Rear Electric Windows or Mechanical Rear Windows in the "model" field, the only reference is to keyfob frequency and alarm function.

Rear Electric Windows in a Convenience module is simply an "adaption" option in channel 61.
In fact the Ross-Tech site gives a PR code of "4R5" which relates to having manual rear windows and this is not mentioned in ETKA against any of the convenience modules.
We do have 5D1, 5D2, 5D3, 5D4, 7AA, 7AL against various Conv Modules which means:
5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
5D2 = Carrier frequency 315 MHz
5D3 = Carrier frequency 315 MHz with reduced transmitting power
5D4 = Carrier frequency 315 MHz without panic button
7AA = Electronic vehicle immobilization device
7AL = Anti-theft alarm system, passenger compartment control, backup horn and towing protection
And for reference 4R5 means:
4R5 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker, mechanical window regulators rear​
There is also no mention in ETKA against the Conv Module variances with regard to QQ1 which indicates Footwell lights and other interior lighting options.
QQ1 = With additional lights (interior lighting)

As a check make sure that there are pins in the footwell light connector "II" of your convenience module.
<<OR>>
If you also code your convenience module to fool it into having footwell lights now, you should get various errors of "open Circuit" against the footwell light you energise by opening a door. I recall having these errors prior to fitting the fuse to power the footwell lights.

Some other VAG cars (Skoda/Seat/VW) may not have footwell light compatibility in their respective vehicle convenience module units and this may be where the compatibility confusion has arisen?

Hope this helps.

sorry i only did the fronts but exactly as you described

Can you remember which wires you tapped into? I took the courtesy lamp unit out and found a loom with a longish connector going into it with about 8 or 10 wires. I tried to find wires going to the lamp holders but its got copper tracks instead :search:

extract from woorlords thread at top of page

Footwell Lights "ON" with Interior light:
Based on the Interior Light connector and if you want the footwell lights to come on with the interior light then use Pin 3 (red/yellow) and Pin 10 (red/white) - these connections are effectively across the Interior light bulbs of the roof light, so run these wires to all your footwell lights in parallel.

i can vouch it works a treat

extract from woorlords thread at top of page

Footwell Lights "ON" with Interior light:
Based on the Interior Light connector and if you want the footwell lights to come on with the interior light then use Pin 3 (red/yellow) and Pin 10 (red/white) - these connections are effectively across the Interior light bulbs of the roof light, so run these wires to all your footwell lights in parallel.

i can vouch it works a treat

Trying to wire up my led strips to interior lights as you have instructed above. Connect pin 3 and 10 to leds.

When the interior lights go out the led strips stay on constantly.

Any ideas?