B6 S4 Oil Change Questions

Sulli

Reaction score
I am planning to change the oil on my S4 this weekend. It has been on longlife (5w30), and last service was 6k ago, but I am planning to go to fixed with 5w40.
The reason I want to do this is 2 fold - firstly I always like to have fresh oil, and I am happy to change oil every 5k miles, so this is much better than a degraded oil potentially doing 20k miles, even if it is so called longlife oil.
Also, i had to top up recently and the Shell Helix 5w30 from Audi was £17 for 1 litre!! So if I cange the oil I will have spare to top up and it will be better priced.
Couple of questions - what is the oil capacity on a B6 S4 4.2 when you are doing oil and filter?
I have priced up GSF and Eurocarparts and both now do Carlube products. The Carlube Triple R 5w40 is around £26 for 5 litres and is 502.00, 503.01 and 505.00 spec so should be the right stuff - is this stuff OK?
Any any other anomolies for the S4 oil change or any tips?
Cheers :icon_thumright:

Thanks mate, do you know the capacity?
Managed to get 10 litres of Triple R 5w40 f/synth 502.00, 505.00 plus filter for £52 all in!!!

I think it's supposed to be 9.5 litres but I've never got that much in there.

I get Fuchs Pro S 5W-40. Bit more expensive but you get what you p\y for in this case.

I would highly recommend looking into an ester based oil.

I think it's supposed to be 9.5 litres but I've never got that much in there.

I get Fuchs Pro S 5W-40. Bit more expensive but you get what you p\y for in this case.

Agreed, I've just done mine and the engine took about 9.2L and I used the Fuchs too, v pleased so far.

I believe that as long as it's a decent oil of the right grade, regular changes are the key, whether they are ester based oils or not - whether ester or not, changing the oil every 5-10k miles is so much better for the engine than the 19k long-life interval.
If what I paid for a decent oil is less than half what i would have paid for an ester oil, then I can change the oil twice as often :), which is the best thing for any engine.

Job done, easy enough.
Managed to get 9 litres of oil in.
Audi cost for fixed oil and filter service - £180.
My cost £52, an hour and I have taken a lot more care I dare say.
Anyone know how to reset the service interval without vag.com?