Alternator Clutch

elliottj24

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion after reading much online that i need to replace the above on my 1.9TDI.

Now comes the difficult part, where do i find the part number i need? (had a look in the part number thread but couldn't see it). Plenty online but they vary quite a lot.

Will this one fit for example? AUDI A4 S3 TT 1.6 1.9 2.0 TDI ALTERNATOR CLUTCH PULLEY | eBay

Also does anyone have an instructions on how to replace this on an A4? i.e. do i need to remove most of the front end?

Thanks in advance for your help

Had mine done recently
Called main dealer and gave them the alternator manufacturer.
Fitting was quite easy. Ish. Had to squeeze the bolts completly out (twisting the alternator)
Changed it on the bench

Had mine done recently
Called main dealer and gave them the alternator manufacturer.
Fitting was quite easy. Ish. Had to squeeze the bolts completly out (twisting the alternator)
Changed it on the bench

Thanks for your reply.

What symptoms did yours have that made you change it? A garage said i need a new tensioner but from reading threads on here and elsewhere it would seem that this is often a misdiagnosis and that the clutch can often be the problem.

Also did you use a specfic tool to remove it from the alternator?

Thanks for your reply.

What symptoms did yours have that made you change it? A garage said i need a new tensioner but from reading threads on here and elsewhere it would seem that this is often a misdiagnosis and that the clutch can often be the problem.

Also did you use a specfic tool to remove it from the alternator?

No problem...
Apparently mine had the tensioner changed just before i bought it. Made a loud noise when turning the steering wheel. Sounded like the power steering pump, but a friend of mine told me it wasnt and the bearing seemed to be the only logical choice.
Turned out he was right. He provided the tool for taking it off, so no idea what its called. But it worked a treat, locking the bearing so it didnt spin.

The hard bit it twisting the alternator so you can get the bolts out.

If your tensioner looks worn and is cheaper than the bearing, id try that first. At least youve then prevented this going in the future if it looks tired. Maybe even saved a few quid if it is the problem :)

The main reason for the tensioner failing is a faulty alternator clutch/pulley, as this is what I found out when mine went and got the symptoms scottshere described - loud noise when turning the steering wheel.

If your tensioner is ok, then you can just change the alternator clutch/pulley.

But if the tensioner has failed then you will also need to change both. Because when I bought the parts for mine, the guy told me they wouldn't provide warranty on the new tensioner parts unless I also changed the alternator clutch/pulley at the same time.

Have you ordered your parts yet, if not speak to Murrays Direct and ask for OEM spec parts really good prices. Got all the parts for mine from there last April and not had any issues and only cost £136 for all the parts.

The main reason for the tensioner failing is a faulty alternator clutch/pulley, as this is what I found out when mine went and got the symptoms scottshere described - loud noise when turning the steering wheel.

If your tensioner is ok, then you can just change the alternator clutch/pulley.

But if the tensioner has failed then you will also need to change both. Because when I bought the parts for mine, the guy told me they wouldn't provide warranty on the new tensioner parts unless I also changed the alternator clutch/pulley at the same time.

Have you ordered your parts yet, if not speak to Murrays Direct and ask for OEM spec parts really good pricPes. Got all the parts for mine from there last April and not had any issues and only cost £136 for all the parts.

I've got the clutch from TPS but now looking at it, it seems that the belt is quite loose. Do you think this suggests hat the tensioner is gone too - is there an easy way to check that? So you got a clutch and tensioner for £136?

If the tensioner is faulty you would get a vibration on tick over and a noise like what scottshere mentioned. But if the belt feels loose then it may suggest it on its way out.

Yes, I got the Alternator Clutch/pulley, tensioner pully and shock absorber, new a/c & aux belts inc delivery for £136. But it will depend on what engine you have, as mine is a AWX.

As for your other question, yes the front end will need to be put into its service position to give you the clearances you need to change the parts.