Jhhezzee, is it just me, or have tyre prices gone up???

Grangey.

Reaction score
This is more of a rant I guess than a question, and admittidly it has been a while since I've had to buy a tyre for any car- in fact the last time i did was about 3 years ago for a 19 inch wheel on my civic which set me back about £190...

So anyway, i woke up the other morning to find my off side tyre flat, changed it for the spare job done... looking at prices to change the tyre today, it appears the cheapest tyres start at about £100-110 for budget brand tyres. I seem to recall a time where tyres for 17s would cost about £70-80 so what have i missed??!

Its quite annoying as a new set of wheels were on my to do list- perticularly 19s, but franky looking at the cost of tyres now im starting to rethink that abit!!

Given alot of you guys are running 18s and 19s, how much are you paying for tyres?!

I bought an 18" p zero rosso a couple of weeks ago and it set me back £160.

I just fitted 4 new PS3's to my S4. Set me back best part of £800 but having been on tyre tests and seen how different brands compare I won't be trying to save cash on tyres again. Given they are the only bit in contact with the road, I will always be buying the best I can.

just had 4 x budgets on mine £ 260 with around 8-9 mm of tractor tread, but you do get what ya pay for with tyres 225/45/18's

I have a brand new 19" P zero if anyone is interested.. i can bring it to ADI next weekend

just had 4 x budgets on mine £ 260 with around 8-9 mm of tractor tread, but you do get what ya pay for
with tyres 225/45/18's

Which ones dod you go for? Ive got some budget ones on mine and are terrible in the rain. Dread to think what they will be like in snow :-S

I recall that when buying Michelins in the 60s for my Beetle they cost the equivalent of a weeks wages each todays prices arent too bad for a much better tyre

Good question about the increase in prices! If you tell us your complete tyre dimensions (and speed index) we could tell you an estimation of the price change over around 2 years? Let me know if you're interested!

i had falkens on my previous car, a civic. I thought they were quite good.

I nearly always use blackcircles.com as the cost includes fitting and they seem pretty cheap..

wouldn't touch budget tyres with a barge-pole... likely to cost you your insurance premium, no claims bonus, plus the pain and grief of repairs, if not worse after you come off on the first wet corner you approach with any enthusiasm... only time I've used budget tyres, they were decent up to an okay-ish limit, but then they let go so quickly, there wasn't much time to catch it... and 10x worse in the wet... I changed them after a week.

18 months ago:
£135 a corner for Toyo Proxes T1-R's 235/40/18's black circles, I think!
£99 a corner for Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes: 215/55/16's local Merityre who price matched the net.

I bought a set of TTRS/S3 replica wheels with 4 Brand New Continental Contact Sport tyres 225/40/18, all in with wheels for £800, i thought that was a steal!

I have just ordered, and am waiting for them to be fitted, 4 Continental TS830 Conti-WinterContact tyres on my original Quattro Sport 5-star wheels, size 235x45x17. Price fitted = £177.60 each incl VAT = £710.40 for the set.
Lot of money, but I'm led to believe that the Continental Winter tyres are excellent in the snow and slush. Good, as well, in the wet.
So, after they're fitted, I'm hoping we have a really cold winter, with lots of snow!!
Anyone had experience of Continental winter tyres? I know their SportContact3 tyres are excellent summer tyres - and they've just started advertising their winter tyres on ITV.
Hope they're worth it.

+ 1 for Camskill, got some Falkens off them when I had my BMW, 225/40 18 for £64 each! bargain. good tyre too.