Chris NottSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

a4 or a6 2.5 tdi quattro advice

Im currently looking at these as im needing a tow car, daily runner etc

Their seems to be a few about for the right money, but im new to vags so im unsure on common faults and things to look out for when buying?

anyone got any pros or cons to them?

reliablity? mpg? common faults

much difference between the 150 and 180?

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    We have had 2 of these for over 2 years an auto and a manual although ones going soon probably the manual.I would look for good servicing not Longlife if poss and a top quality cambelt change waterpump and tstat.The manual can easily do over 40mpg but not sure about towing.They are rewarding to drive but do plenty of research cos I think good ones are rare

1st Gear

Status
    sounds good to me, would the 2.5 be better for towing over the 1.9? the quattro system quiet reliable any ways of telling good from bad?

4th Gear

Status
    You will need to hear from those who tow with Quattros but I assume that the 2.5 will be better with 180bhp than the 1.9s 130.The system seems reliable and has been in wide use for many years.Most are unabused due to high initial cost and good s/hand values but you need to look at some and I dont see a lot available.How much are you spending?

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quattro drivetrains are pretty bulletproof.

I've never driven a 1.9q, but I'm pretty sure a 2.5q would walk all over it for towing with the extra torque of the engine.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    had a 1.9tdi in a vw passat guise and it pulled but you had to abuse it to go anywhere but now have the 180hp v6 tdi quattro and there is no comparison, i tow boats about and my caravan which weighs in around 1.2 tonnes. The towing is effortless even on wet sodden grass there just isnt any spin. the only downside is i find i have to help others that bog down but its a good feeling towing another car and caravan with no bother at all. mpg on the dis says around 25 with the van on and 5 people in the car so somewhere around there as the dis isnt totally accurate. All other times its between 32-42mpg. The 4wd system seems fine, im now at 130k and its sweet and silent with no issues. When testing out a car i would listen for any wining or clunking and look at the rear diff for any signs of leaking oil. if all checks ok then i see no reasonto suspect it will fail. Quattro will come into its own in the winter time, i would be very surprised if you get stuck in snow or ice but remember stopping isnt as easy as setting off! There are some common issues to look out for, being mainly the thermostats fail and its a front of the car off job to replace including cambelts etc (min £500) usually, check for any judder as you set off in first as this would signal dual mass flywheel issues. Great cars absolutely lovin mine
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

6th Gear

Status
    There is no comparison, the 1.9 will tow as well but it wont be too happy about it. I tow regularly with a v6 tdi allroad and before that i had a v6 tdi audi a6 avant (it was soo god i bought it back !), i tow a Iffor Williams 3.5 T trailer often loaded with cars over 1.6T. The v6 does not misses a beat. Go for a 180Bhp and fit a tuning box or have a remap (the 180Bhp is remap friendly as it has a flashable trough Obd ECU !)for best compromise between power and economy ! By the way, if you're looking for a tidy a6 sport estate with a towbar, new clutch and flywheel, good engine and mint drivetrain then i have one ! Drop me a pm if interested- it's well priced as well ! It has cruise, working climate control, ESP, ABS, etc...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the replies

now just to find a 180 for the right money

would i get one that half decent for 3.5k?

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    i dont see why not i paid 5k 2.5 half years for a 51 plate. They do hold the value better than a 1.9 also
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZ1985 View Post
    thanks for the replies

now just to find a 180 for the right money

would i get one that half decent for 3.5k?
    You may have to look at an older one but why not check out Adamss24 he is a top man and did a belt job for us this year

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    You may have to look at an older one but why not check out Adamss24 he is a top man and did a belt job for us this year
    Thanks Mike, i did answer to a Pm from Daz so i need to send him a few pictures. The a6 i have on the market i had it for over 1 year then sold it to a mate who needed to get a transit van for work, that's why it got back to me ! Daz, 3.5k will buy you a tidy prefacelift one but shop wisely as the v6 is known to give trouble and is quite expensive to repair if it goes tits up ! I do work on another forum member's a6 who has worn cams, the engine dropped a few valves and it looks as it was hydrolocked at some point then the garage that sold it thrown a cambelt kit on and messed-up the timing, result: completely knackered engine wich will require a engine swap as not economical to repair. I did not heard it running ( it got delivered to me on a flatbed !) but i bet it did not sounded to good ! Will post a few pics of the job after i take a shower...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once