Hi all i have a MAYOR issue with inside tyre wear...Need help URGENTLY..

holmefield

Reaction score
Right im hoping that somebody can shed some light on this pretty big problem. As some may know i've got 19" BMW X5 alloys fitted to my car with 9J front width fitted with 225/35 tyres.

My problem is the inside edge of the drivers side has worn and i do mean worn a big groove into the the top edge of the tyre adout 25mm long going into the tread, in other words if you look @ the tyre on the inside edge the groove goes 25mm towards the outside face of the tyre + about 20mm deep!!!!!

Its not tracking as its way way to harsh + deep and the tyre has only done maybe 3000 miles, the passenger side is completely un touched not a mark on the inside edge @ all........On full lock nothing catches everythings clear by some margin + its clear of the inner plastic arch. The top ball joint is above the tyre and clear by about 20mm as @ first i thought it was that, that was rubbing but it appears well clear.

Would a knackered bearing or worn rubber bush affect the ball joint so much, its got me as the passenger side is just the same but hasn't an ounce of wear on it + its clear of the suspension strut and all the gubbins...

Anybody any ideas as im currently looking for a new tyre + looking @ a big bill from a garage....

Cheers all

im not saying you have eaten all the pies or anything but have you sat in it and got someone to check to see if anything is close?

it could be the extra weight of driver coupled with suspension travel causing it to rub on something

Get some pics up of damage and of the car. It sounds like the damage I had on my decked punto Gt when I had 16's on it lol. It was the rear arch catching. I couldn't really hear it due to road noise so beware just cause u can't hear it doesnt mean it ain't catching.

And I imagine it's near impossible to simulate how much the suspension travels by pressing down on the wings. Try bumping the said wheel up on a kerb and get someone to watch.

or you can jack the othere side up to push down on the side thats rubbing you should still be ok to see or use a mirro

im still thinking tracking have you had it checked at all ?

Right im hoping that somebody can shed some light on this pretty big problem. As some may know i've got 19" BMW X5 alloys fitted to my car with 9J front width fitted with 225/35 tyres.

My problem is the inside edge of the drivers side has worn and i do mean worn a big groove into the the top edge of the tyre adout 25mm long going into the tread, in other words if you look @ the tyre on the inside edge the groove goes 25mm towards the outside face of the tyre + about 20mm deep!!!!!

Its not tracking as its way way to harsh + deep and the tyre has only done maybe 3000 miles, the passenger side is completely un touched not a mark on the inside edge @ all........On full lock nothing catches everythings clear by some margin + its clear of the inner plastic arch. The top ball joint is above the tyre and clear by about 20mm as @ first i thought it was that, that was rubbing but it appears well clear.

Would a knackered bearing or worn rubber bush affect the ball joint so much, its got me as the passenger side is just the same but hasn't an ounce of wear on it + its clear of the suspension strut and all the gubbins...

Anybody any ideas as im currently looking for a new tyre + looking @ a big bill from a garage....

Cheers all

I had this EXACT same issue, wrecked a T1R in about the same mileage.

I had creaking suspension when moving at low speeds (think multi story car park), and a slightly jittery ride - replaced all my front arms with OEM arms and had tracking done (Out by country mile after the arms done, no idea beforehand) and the problem is gone.

The handling sorted out nicely to boot and I'm not wrecking 125 quid tyres every 3k miles.

So in your case - I'd jack the front up (my fav method is axle stands with blocks of wood with slots in em - on the sill jacking points) - take the wheels off, and use a pry bar / crowbar / whatever to check for play in your joints.

If you've never had the arms changed on the car and it's on it's first set they're probably shagged by now - you can get a full OEM set (not ****ty chinese crap off fleabay) for about £500, bit more if you go for the track rod ends (mad not to IMHO) shop around, but the diff will be night and day when fitted.

Be warned! if you are doing this yourself, the top pinch bolt for the upper arms is a right bast4rd to get out - steel bolt in an alloy casting = corrosion magnet! You will need plenty of heat and patience - about an hour in my case to get one out.