S4 b6 alternator belt - how much?

jimmywar

Reaction score
My alternator belt went yesterday whilst going round the M25, had the car brought back home and I was just wondering what I will be looking at cost wise to have it fixed? The AA guy said he thinks the tensioner has gone which has then thrown the belt off, but he thought it was a bumper off job and rad out etc... does anyone know?

Many thanks.

They have to put the car into the service position to get to it. Will probably be about a 2-3 hour job I should think including removing the bumper which should take about 45mins. When the tensioners go they will throw the belt. Some even recommend even if your tensioner seems ok to change it anyway as they might throw new belts if they have worn funny. Tensioner is about £90 ish I think and the belt should only be about £15. I had mine done when I had the front off anyway as a precaution and they said my tensioner was starting to get a bit dodgy so they stripped it down and cleaned it up and re greased it.

hi thanks for the reply. got a response from the garage today who said the alternator had seized solid, new one from Audi is £600!! Is that right? Surely it cant be £600....

I don't know how much they are but I have heard that they are expensive sounds about right. I'd call audi give them your reg to check the price with them. different years had different alternators for some reason so be careful if sourcing one yourself

I had my alternator go not long after getting mine, off the top of my head I think I paid £750 mates rates for all parts and fitting. £600 probably isn't too far off for the part.

I don't know how much they are but I have heard that they are expensive sounds about right. I'd call audi give them your reg to check the price with them. different years had different alternators for some reason so be careful if sourcing one yourself

Weren't very early ones not water cooled alternators?????