MFSW retrofit - SDS Help Pleeease!

stu22uk

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Im desperate for some good advice/help. Been reading on this subject for some time now and watching from the sidelines - some very knowledgeable people on this forum and I would be eternally grateful for some educated input.

Problem - Only the scroll wheels on the mfsw work, nothing from "MODE" or "SPEECH" not even the beep!

I have RNS E and audi blutooth and have coded the modules (i believe) correctly for uk ;

Telephone (audi bluetooth) - soft coding - 0011702

Navigation - soft coding - 0301715

steering wheel - soft coding - 05041

I do not have BOSE therefore didnt need to move pins on the rnse plug. I have ran the mic through the rnse (mic in - mic out) and can confirm the wiring is correct as I can still use the bluetooth telephone with rnse as I always did.

I aquired the following parts to allow for the mfsw retrofit -

SWCM - 8E0 953 549 Q (I suspect this may be the problem - i know most people use the "R" variation however I read that both "R" and "Q" are "compatible".)

S/C Ring - 4E0 953 541 A, - It has 12 pins where it should and the "New" shaped socket on the rear for which I had to change my original plug (as expected).

In VAG COM I get the following fault code in the steering module -

Address 16: Steering wheel
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 953 549 Q
Component and/or Version: Lenksáulenmodul 0601
Software Coding: 05041
Work Shop Code: WSC 06335
2 Faults Found:
01301 - Control Module for Voice Recognition (J507)
49-00 - No Communications
01794 - Control Module - Incorrect Chassis (VIN) Number

Ive since taken care of the "incorrect chassis" fault. Its the no comms from voice recognition that reoccurs no matter what I try.

No other fault codes in telephone of nav.

Car Info - 2001 b6, K line diagnostics - no CAN (at least not with VAG COM)

Again I really appreciate anyone willing to devote a little time to helping me out with this...

I dont normally request help in forums - not because Im a social ****** but because I find if you hunt hard and long enough the information is usually there. Ive seen countless posts with moderators going berserk because people just ask repeat questions and wont search for things. THATS NOT ME!

hi my coding is
Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 8E0-953-549.lbl
Part No: 8E0 953 549 R
Component: Lenksáulenmodul 1002
Coding: 04341

Address 37: Navigation Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl
Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 T HW: 8E0 035 192 T
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H80 0660
Revision: 08S Serial number:
Coding: 0311717

Address 77: Telephone Labels: 8P0-862-335.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 862 335 AA HW: 8P0 862 335 S
Component: FSE_256x BT H38 0600
Revision: 00000000 Serial number:
Coding: 0011802
try these but ive got dis and cruise
thx
cheech,

v6 tdi qs

Hi Cheech,

Thanks for you reply.

Ive got DIS and cruise too. Your coding is interesting.... Ill go try -

OK... some progress, my mode button on the wheel now brings up my phone book in DIS - I believe this is what should happen!! YIPEE!

Im still at a loss with speech. Cheech Im interested in you coding for the steering module (04341), I tried to code the middle digit "3" but it wouldnt accept it and stayed at "0", according to ross tech there is no "3" for that part of the coding - its "0" or "1" ...

Audi A4 (8E) Steering Wheel - Ross-Tech Wiki

Can you shed any light?

Here is all my information on parts coding etc:

Address 16: Steering wheel
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 953 549 Q
Component and/or Version: Lenksáulenmodul 0601
Software Coding: 04041
Work Shop Code: WSC 06335
1 Fault Found:
01301 - Control Module for Voice Recognition (J507)
49-00 - No Communications

Address 37: Navigation
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 035 192 C
Component and/or Version: RNS-E HIGH EU H55 0650
Software Coding: 0301715
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 239
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2001.04.24
Time: 08:29:45

Cheech - my coding is slightly different as I have no cd changer and Im not a cabrio. Dont understand that fault code though... coding seems good.

Address 77: Telephone
Control Module Part Number: 8P0 862 335 Q
Component and/or Version: FSE_255x BT H26 0350
Software Coding: 0011802
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
No fault code found.

Im using a 3rd party diagnostic cable and a hacked (but full) version of VAG COM, when I go into [coding] and hover over the soft code digits a bubble appears with all the coding options for that module. I have checked some of these against the ross tech site and they dont always seem to match up....

Oh -and it a 1.9 tdi se saloon

The first few posts from a new user need to be verified, it's to prevent spam and ensure only genuine threads are posted.

Can anyone with working sds on a b7 wheel confirm their steering wheel control module type please....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

For a start you need to code telephone as an 8, not a 7 as you have rns, mfsw & telephone via kline iirc, I also still code the voice control as a 2 even if rns is doing the voice control, never affected anything I've installed so left at that anyway.

Wheel should be a 4 not 5 as thats why mode doesnt work for phone/audio source swap as it doesnt even know there's a phone connected, because you havnt told it.
Have you actually installed the sds firmware for the rns-e or was it an sds enabled unit already as that maybe why it cant see the voice module & hence why speech button doesnt work.

Check instruments 17 adaptation channels to check what modules you have enabled on the relevant CAN BUS networks available on the B6, iirc the B6 has as does the B7 a limited CAN system that works via the instruments which includes telephone & rns, but you have to tell its on the network now, something I cant recall happened when I coded a certain option in there, see if can remember later.

Code the driver position in rns adaptations, should be 13 for rhd iirc.

There are somethings I have probably missed, but had 4 hours sleep, up at 6am to do a long install, if I recall other settings I'll try & post up, but that should help you nonetheless.

Remember red dis with rns equals no dis nav directions without an rns power down whilst in use.

Side note, the info is on the site, next time please try searching harder :)

Also, if you can afford these mods, you can afford the real vagcom, dont be a tight **** :)

Thanks NHN, Ill go out and have a play and post my results.

BTW - I realize it may look like I have just acquired all of this kit and Im fitting it all in one go - not so - the rnse and bluetooth were fitted some 5 years ago... I always wanted the mfsw to make it complete but it was just too darned expensive to justify back then (£1000)!!

Only now can I "afford" with lots of haggling and scouring the net to get the last bits and bobs, mostly 2nd hand and from the other side of Europe. Im doing this on a shoestring budget so the real VAG COM will have to wait a little longer.... I do understand your point though.

Now, Im 99% sure my rnse is SDS enabled - when I go into engineering mode there is a selectable SDS tab and I have the most up to date firmware for my model no.
I also read a forum post that listed all rnse variants to have SDS as standard... Mines (a "c" type) was the first on that list.

Thanks for the heads up about the red DIS bug with nav but Ive lived with that a long time now - not so bad really!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/78892-rns-e-sds.html#post808627 - See, I do research forums. :salute:

Offtopic - Sorry - When I press Mode, the phone book comes up but it's only for a limited time, if i keep scrolling through. It'll change radio stations lol

So you press mode button once & let go, you then scroll through phonebook & it shows numbers/names, then whilst scrolling it starts to scroll the radio stations?

So you press mode button once & let go, you then scroll through phonebook & it shows numbers/names, then whilst scrolling it starts to scroll the radio stations?
Yeh basically, press mode, names come up, start to scroll, it'll do 4 or 5 names then goes back to radio stations.

Stu if you go into the rns menu's & look at sound menu & the settings menu, see if you have sds settings you can chnage like speech volume & language setting, this would tell you if its sds enabled aswell.

Black, maybe a dodgy wheel button or steering cu fault, I'd take the wheel apart & see if its got worn or crap in there which is somehow affecting the contacts, assuming its all coded correctly & parts used are for the job.

Last edited:
Ok, been out and tried your suggestions NHN...

[MODE] - working

Instrument adaption channels checked - everything seems good...
adaption channel 62 - Infotainment
value = 23 (instrument cluster +16, telephone +2, radio +1, navigation +4) NO telematics which would have added a further 8.

Recoded telephone module to enable speech recognition, so second last digit from 0 to 2. This is where things got a bit weird;

I can now press the speech button and get the beep with "speak" in DIS... Great - I say "help" and the rnse screen jumps to telephone SDS Help screen

Desktop
https://picasaweb.google.com/105035385876637170473/Desktop#5656426426729743042

So.. I know the speak button on the wheel is not faulty.

I recoded the rnse to allow for the fact I have a hard drive for media attached through a kufatech interface... I think it "sees" it as a T.V but it made no difference.

I went into engineering mode to look at the SDS details - I noticed some inconsistances here...

Desktop
https://picasaweb.google.com/105035385876637170473/Desktop#5656426404256760258

F
inally.. I went into the rnse menus as you suggested NHN... No options for sds volume anywhere...

Desktop
https://picasaweb.google.com/105035385876637170473/Desktop#5656426414830998946 O

Oh... I also changed the adaption for RHD in rnse HIGH.... Get this though - it was coded for LHD RNSE BASIC!

I even pulled out the unit to check the CAN H and CAN L were in place and correct - they were, at least at the back of the nav.

I just cant work out whats going on here... :uhm:

I can tell you exactly whats happening, the sds you can see is purely for the BT unit, as you can see the options are all for the phone, the rns is not sds setup, simple as that.

You need to either try reloading the firmware or sds hack it.

You da man... :respekt:

I see what you mean.... So I do the whole downgrade firmware thing to allow it then to reload the most current... ?

I know Im now at risk of being told to f-off and find it myself but while your most knowledgeable one is around, is there a link/info on how to get hold of the SDS hack should I need it???

:friends:

I've done the hard work, now you go finish it :p

Well.... Got finished about 3 in morning!!!

Of course you turned out to be correct NHN - Sourced the SDS hack and installed it. Took me a long time to find solid, concise advise on this, so often one is left to interpret "the wisdom of crowds".

For anyone doing the SDS hack ;

If your on firmware 0650, which by now I would expect most are -

1. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DOWNGRADE YOUR EXISTING VERSION IN ORDER TO UPGRADE TO 0660.(A lot of ambiguity on this)
2. Search for SDS 0660 firmware and download - google or the "usual" sites!
3. Burn the files to an ordinary CD and be sure to close/finalise the disc... NO NEED FOR DVD MUCH LESS DUAL LAYER DVD.
4. Pop it in the nav - wait... nothing happens for minute or so, then it should display that it is a software upgrade disc, by that time it will have updated the nav. It will not restart you nav - you dont have to either.
5. Remove the update CD and put back in the NAV DVD, it should immediately start to install language for SDS
6. Done!

All the sds options were then available on the nav but it still wouldnt listen to me.. GRRRRRR... Turned out to be due to the instruments adaption channel being coded FOR telematics - must have accidently left it like that after messing around - DOH!... but it was late o clock!

After that was sorted it all came together... :yahoo: :thumbsup:

I think its worth mentioning to anyone taking on this mod that the coding relationship between modules is quite a complex weave. For novices (like me) its worth knowing that not only particular module coding has to be correct but other modules involved on the sidelines as it were, also have to be "on the same page".

There are several DIY guides which I have studied long and hard but none of them mention modules involved in this way.

E.g -For this mod, Nav and bluetooth speak to each other, Nav and steering wheel speak, bluetooth and steering wheel speak, BUT- Instruments (DIS) is involved too, some of the instrument adaption channels are crucial to have correct.

Any incompatible coding and it throws the whole thing into disarray. The thing is, there are many permutations and none of them are necessarily "incorrect". It depends on many factors and variables;

-The equipment you have in your car/type of car
-What you ultimately want the car to do
-What language you speak
-The individual modules and their limitations

So, I could have an audi with full SDS rnse with bluetooth but my friend, who has the same kit will probably have different coding per module for the reasons mentioned above.

Big THANKS to all who helped me... :respekt: :anbet:

Hope this thread can go some way to helping others

Ok...i must add this post..i have a problem, because i don't have MFSW!
but i saw the theme where some ppl talking about "board", which simulate electronics like MFSW..
Are anybody know where can i get this board, that i connect it directly to CAN-H and CAN-L and that i add just simply button and so activate Speak, lik PTT button..

please look this link:
Proyecto ASI-Can - Audisport Iberica

There is a device called a cangate, audiforum.us was the place for this, iirc made by a guy called bjarne or the like, have a look on that site, he did stop making, then I saw he did a batch, so who knows if he is doing anymore, but it basically has an option for a ptt button input which sends this signal down the bus to the rns, iirc.

I just finished retrofit the B7 MFSW on my 2003 with BOSE, RNSE & BT and after coding all, I have encountered the same issue that Black reported:
when I press the MODE button - can select from agenda for a few seconds then it goes back to radio and changes the channels.
I have the updated version of SDS and is fully functional - I believe the coding is correct.

Can someone give me a clue, any ideas?

Thank you very much for your support!

Welcome btw.

Provide us the coding for steering, rns-e & bluetooth please & what does the rns-e show as firmware version under the Car button version screen.

Thks NHN for interest and wellcome!<br>Below I put the diag:<br>-----------------------------<br><div>Address 16: Steering wheel &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Labels: 8E0-953-549.lbl</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Part No: 8E0 953 549 Q</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Component: Lenksáulenmodul &nbsp; &nbsp; 0601 &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Coding: 04041</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Shop #: WSC 06335 &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>No fault code found.</div><div><div>Address 17: Instruments &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Labels:&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>No fault code found. ----- (#62 CH =23)</div><div>-------------------------------------</div></div>&nbsp;Address 37: Navigation &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl<div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 C &nbsp; &nbsp;HW: 8E0 035 192 C</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Component: RNS-E HIGH EU &nbsp; H46 0660 &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Revision: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;03S &nbsp; &nbsp;Serial number: AUZxxxxxxxxx</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Coding: 0309757</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Shop #: WSC 01973 973 01973</div><div><br></div><div>No fault code found.<br>--------------------------------<br><div>Address 77: Telephone &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Labels: 8P0-862-335.lbl</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Part No SW: 8P0 862 335 F &nbsp; &nbsp;HW: 8P0 862 335 F</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Component: FSE_255x BT &nbsp; &nbsp; H21 0190 &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Revision: 00000001 &nbsp; &nbsp;Serial number: 00000000335141</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Coding: 0011802</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Shop #: WSC 01973 973 01973</div><div><br></div><div>No fault code found.<br>------------------------------<br>@CAR on RNS-E &gt; Version: SW:0660/HW: H46/MAP: 8PO919884_AT_EUE<br><br>

Thank you very much!</div></div>

Thanks NHN - I have tried to put the complete log but it 's not so easy to read so that I put the codes here:
- #16 - 04041
- #37 - Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 C HW: 8E0 035 192 C Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H46 0660 ;- 0309757
- #77 - Part No SW: 8P0 862 335 F HW: 8P0 862 335 F
Component: FSE_255x BT H21 0190 - 0011802

Thank you !