S4 4.2 Oil Warning

nickb834

Reaction score
So, my car is doing something a little odd - the B6 S4's with the 4.2 v8 have a reputation for drinking oil (which mine does - a fair bit) but mine thinks it's low on oil when it isn't :uhm:

If the oil warning light comes on - it flat out won't go out until the oil level is a hair above maximum (I know about the overfilling warning).

So what I'm actually asking is - is the oil warning light signifying low oil level? Or is it low oil pressure?

For eg, Is my sensor slightly knackered in that it can't read the level right?

OR

Is it reading a low oil pressure (which would be absolutely disastrous) and the level is actually ok?

Presently it get runs on whatever Castrol / Mobil that meets vag spec 504 - I however have 10 litres of Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic that's going in at next oil change.

So - upshot is - is oil warning level or pressure?

I believe low pressure comes up in red, low level in yellow.

Which is yours?

If it's yellow then you probably need to replace the sensor - get that done during/before the oil change since the sump needs to be drained.

I believe low pressure comes up in red, low level in yellow.

Which is yours?

If it's yellow then you probably need to replace the sensor - get that done during/before the oil change since the sump needs to be drained.

Mines yellow, I seem to recall someone else had a sensor go but I couldnt find that thread, any ideas if this is a common failure on the v8s?

as the dip stick and tube been replaced with the incorrect parts, think you need to drain the oil and see how much is there

Not a bad point re: dipstick - I'll bare it in mind when I'm poking around. Perhaps it's not sitting properly.

Just had a look and it seems the oil sensor part is common to nearly all VAG group engines including some diesels - so it shouldn't be too dear to swap out.