RNS-E

mememe

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a list of which cars have a RNS-E which will fit mine please? IE will one fit if it comes out of an A6 or an A3. And what about the years....which will fit and which won't?

Thanks

You need to get an RNS-E from and A4 and it will fit with no issues, I have one for sale if you need one.

So no A6 or A3 ones will fit?

I doubt I can afford one right now but thanks for the offer.

They would fit (well the A3 one will, dunno about tha A6), but you would need to change the faceplate from an A3 one to an A4 one.

Just buy an A4 unit, do not buy an A3 and change the faceplate as unless you have VAG COM it will not work. A3 coding is different to A4 and it will not display on the DIS or work correctly when still coded for an A3 but fitted in an A4.

You need a unit starting with 8E0 or 8H0 for an A4

Nathan (Wrath) bought an A3 RNS-e and changed the faceplate and it worked. I'm not saying you are incorrect, just wondering if there are certain years where they are compatible.

I have a A6 one in mine with a different faceplate on it.

Yes they will work, but the A3/TT/R8 canbus is different to the A4/A6 canbus and you have to recode the units to work correctly. It's to do with the fact that the A3/R8/TT have a can gateway and the A4/A6 do not. But hey what do I know, only been retrofitting Audi nav systems for 7 years, guess I know nothing.

And why would you buy an A3 RNS-E and an A4 faceplate when you can buy an A4 unit far cheaper, so unless you are buying a 2010/11 A3 unit to put in an A4, then you would need an A4 faceplate.

So unless you want a 2010 RNS-E which is not made in A4 format, you should buy the right mode for your car.

Last edited:
Yes they will work, but the A3/TT/R8 canbus is different to the A4/A6 canbus and you have to recode the units to work correctly. It's to do with the fact that the A3/R8/TT have a can gateway and the A4/A6 do not. But hey what do I know, only been retrofitting Audi nav systems for 7 years, guess I know nothing.

Mate, when did anybody say you knew nothing! I simply said in my post above that I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just confused as Wrath had an A3 RNSe in his A4. You have just explained the reason why it does work (he had it fitted by B5NUT who used to have a retro-fit business), so thats great and I've learned something else about the Audi range. There was absolutely no need to put that bit on the end. Chill

And for my part, I was simply asking the question so I know what my options are when looking to buy one. Thank you for your input.