Aero rear wiper options.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
My rear wiper has lost it's spring :( (not literally, I do have the spring..)

I finally got round to having a look this morning, and the bar which the end of the spring nearest the splines has just worn/broken away, it's a arrowed here:

wiper1.jpg

It looks like a new arm is needed, the old one is pretty firm on there and I expect I will need to cut if off which seems the norm, but I've soaked it in WD for the time being to see if it helps.

IMG-20110915-00269.jpg

There has been talk of using a Polo rear wiper for an Aero style arm, has anyone done this? Got any pics or links?

Hi James found this thread that may interest you:

DTH ~Aero Rear Wiper Conversion for the B5 A4/S4 and C6 A6 Avant $39

Extract from the thread:

"We have been having a related discussion over on AW this past winter, might be useful for you B6 Avant owners:

Replaced A4 Avant rear wiper assembly with Q5 parts. - AudiWorld Forums

A3, B6 and B7 A4 avants all share the same OE rear wiper parts, so the above Q5 uniblade mod should work for just fine for you. IIRC from my original internet research the Golf/Tiguan uniblade wiper hardware fits our cars but is a little short vs the Q5 parts.

Hope that helps. "

Thats a great help, thank you. It's a shame no one has posted any pics of it, in effect it's a Q5 rear wiper then.

Wiper Arm: 8R0-955-407-1P9
Wiper Blade: 8R0-955-425
Cap: 8K9-955-205

Looks like those are the part numbers I need, will be interesting to see what prices TPS come up with.

right.. a late entry. crazy idea I know but stick with me. what.. about.. a... B7 rear aero wiper arm! sourced from ebay.de
sorry, pics are a bit **** because I took them in -20 something last January or something.

wip2.jpg

wip1.jpg

Nice one mate, I think that looks quite good.

I will order one up and then a new hacksaw blade to get the old one off!

james can't you get a little 2 arm puller on it m8 i had to do this to remove my fronts....

They're about a tenner if we're thinking about the same thing. From speaking to people who've done it they've all cut the old arm off (Noel?) so I'd almost rather do that as it's knackered anyway, that risk damaging the spindle in the motor, or even the rear screen :ohmy:

yeah I used the handy little cutting disc on my dremmel to slice it in 3 places and lifted it off. If it's on there really tight i'd worry that the puller would strip the tiny splines off the spindle of the motor. maybe i'm talking a load of old ******** but the dremmel was already there in my garage anyway so I used it

I'm not going to remove it, only as long as it takes to swap it over anyway ;)

They're on the there Scott, no amount of wiggling will get them off after 8 years.

I have. It worked on my front wipers, but the rear isn't budging.

If you look at the picture you'll see that hinge of the arm is nowhere near as strong as the front arms, I think the rear arm might even be plastic, you'd never get the leverage to move it due to the movement at the hinge point.

I have. It worked on my front wipers, but the rear isn't budging.

If you look at the picture you'll see that hinge of the arm is nowhere near as strong as the front arms, I think the rear arm might even be plastic, you'd never get the leverage to move it due to the movement at the hinge point.

fair point.
it does look plasticy and week.

it's a special german design, made to weld itself on just to freak people like us out after 8 or 9 years :) In my case the whole arm came off when my missus slipped on ice and grabbed the wiper. I was left with the metal ring on the spindle. the spindle is quite a soft metal and kind of splined to prevent the arm spinning on the spindle so 8 or 9 years will have welded that ******* on nice and tight. slice it both sides and lift the pieces off. it's the simplest way.

probably. although given that people seem to like putting on Q5, polo wipers etc it's hard to say for sure. does it look like mine, below?

Amazing how pictures get around the net from one forum to another.
That's my computer desk, money, phone and aerowiper. :lmfao:

I have that fitted to my B5 RS4;

imag0148a.jpg

Last edited:
:laugh: I thought it looked like your desk! I actually right clicked and looked at properties to see if JAS11N was in the file name!

So what wiper is that Jase?

Not got it's part number to hand mate, but I can have a look when I'm in from work tomorrow.
Bought from ebay. Whatever it's advertised to fit on the ebay advert, certainly isn't what it's originally from.
Will find the link.

Edit, >>>>> Linky

Thanks Jase, next time you have the RS and the B6 side by side could you have a look at that wiper and see if you think it could do the job on the B6 please?

Didn't get chance tonight mate, but I'll be in the RS for work tomorrow so will compare them both.
Will also get complete part number, see what it's from..

Thanks Jase, having thought about it the RS arm parks on the left, whereas the B6 parks on the right. Depending how they're mounted I can see it being incompatible due to the washer jets.

Seeker - are you sure this what you have on your B6?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Seeker, can you post a pic of the wiper arm on your car please?

Last edited:
hnmmm. looks like that p/n I gave you is just for the cap.. and it's the same one as the Q5, meaning it's either the same cap or all the same. maybe the german ebay sellers just list them as b6/b7 rear aero wipers knowing that they're actually Q5 parts but work well?

Ok,
The wiper pictured above on my desk and fitted to my B5 RS4 is from a VW Polo.
Nut keeping it on is an M8 James, 10mm socket to untighten/tighten.
It's intended to fit and point to the right, not to the left as on my RS4.

Without taking it off, I could just see and make out the part number of the arm.
6Q6 955 707B

Jase, where does the washer mix come out on a B5? On the B6 the jet comes from the spindle so sprays onto the glass in advance of the wiper blade hitting it. If that's back to front on the polo wiper surely the blade would be dragging through the crap and the washer mix coming after. cleaning would occur on the backstroke I guess. ??

Aha. But where does the washer fluid come out of the wiper/wiper cap? If you took a b6 wiper arm And turned it 180degrees the fluid would squirt down over the number plate :)

Mine came today from ebay.de.

Part numbers are:

Arm: 8R0 955 407
Blade: 8R0 955 425
Cap: 8K9 955 205

It doesn't have a splined hole which is odd, it's like a tapered hole so I'm hoping that when it's clamped down on the motor spindle it will hold it tight. Will be fitting at the weekend.

IMG-20111107-00035.jpg

just checked and mine is the same part number. the metal is softer on the new arm than the splined spidle on the wiper motor so it will cut a thread as it tightens on