Where best to get Sat Nav Disc?

Phil.MC

Reaction score
Hi there, hopefully someone can help me out here. My RNS is not reading my Disc properly and comes up with a disc error, so I'm not wanting to pay extortionate amounts of money for a replacement disc in case it turns out to be a problem with the actual RNS head unit. Could any kind person point me in the right direction of where to buy a version of the map disc at a decent price please?

Many thanks for any assistance, Phil.

Before paying out for a new Map disc....could you not try using a dvd/cd cleaning disc to see if that solves the prob?

Cheers guys, I'll need to try just cleaning the laser for now. I'm not able to burn anything Dual Layer, so can't even give that a try :eek:(

mine plays up now and again but a bit of t-cut on it and its right as rain

ok guys, bear with me here.

I've tried :

1) cleaning the laser, no joy.
2) Playing other cd's & media, all ok, so not the optical reader at fault.
3) t-cutting the nav disk, still saying that there's a disc error when trying to use the nav disc.

So I reckon that it is definitely another Nav Disc that I need, just need to borrow a Back-up Nav Disc to confirm this is the case....HELP Please!!!

Is it a genuine disc Phil? know very little about RNS, but have heard that they don't always read copied discs?

You need to use an original Audi DVD map disc for proper testing - any year will do so you can confirm if the "DVD" laser is good or bad.
The fact that it plays CD's is not an indication that the DVD laser is working - a different frequency laser is used for CD versus DVD reading.
DVD copies are harder to read than original "print" DVD's and make your laser work harder all the time, so it's best for your RNS-E to have an original disc.

Ebay is a good source for map DVD's - you pay a premium for current year disk but one year old discs are pretty cheap at £60~£70. Older discs are even cheaper.

Don't waste your time on copies they will fail at some point and reduce the life of your laser.

I am having the same problem. Although I'm using a 2004 disc so it's no wonder.
:w00t: 2004 disc - nice one Gaz, at least you'll be able to find your nearest Woolworths in the special destinations...

But seriously I had the same issue with a 'backup disc', initially lens cleaning worked, but nav got progressively less usable, started with stalling then unreadable error. In the end I got a genuine 2nd hand disc from ebay and haven't had a problem since (over a year now).

1st of all, is this an RNS D or E as B6 didnt come with E units.

Mines is an RNS-e. I'm sure it was in mines from the factory. I have an 04 plate sport. It has also got aero wipers.

Mines is an RNS-e. I'm sure it was in mines from the factory. I have an 04 plate sport. It has also got aero wipers.

Strange as I had a B6 & that was rns-d & never known a B6 with rns-e from factory, will go check few things now.

You may well be right mate. Perhaps a previous owner retro fitted it. It came from derby Audi like that though.

I purchased a faulty RNSE a few years ago which wasn't reading discs. I took the top off the unit, cleaned the laser with a cotton bud and alcohol, put it back together and bought an eBay nav disc, worked perfect and still does 2 years down the line.