WOW !!!!! MR MUSCLE TURBO CLEANNING

marktdisport

Reaction score
ive owned my car for around 3-4 months now with no running issues what so ever but having reading people saying clean the turbo vains with the old mr muscle oven cleaner i decided to start stripping the egr pipe down so i could carry out this (mod)... If you have not yet done this to your tdi then gota say please get it done for the sake of half hour to remove air filter top housing engine cover to gain acces to the egr pipe so this can be done... Its well well worth it as on road test the poooooo that came out my car was amazing just filled the road with thick plumes of black contaminated smoke for a few minutes now my standard 130tdi seems loads more responsive which i was under the impression that there was no issues anyhows but it's really amazing to feel the difference ??? please be carefull with the mr muscle its leathal if used incorrectly i followed the b5 discription and its very ease and simple job and now a much happier turbo

Ive heard this before that it's good stuff and does the job.

brilliant dan just been out for another ride and its so much livlier well worth less than £3 a tin

anyone done this to a 2.5tdi yet, as the turbo sits differently to a 1.9 and am worried that it could get into the engine

My thoughts exactly Swarcup. I'd need to be 100% confident that I wasn't going to do more harm than good. No question that it's possible, just need to know how.

im pretty sure ive read a thread on here who's done the 2.5 tdi..... ill have a look now see if i can find it m8.... i just used 4mm silicone hose and pushed it down the maifold as much as possible.... it certainly blows the poo clear within a minute or two...

Does any one have a write up / instructions on on how to do this for the PD engine, also what is the correct Mr Muscle to use?

I wonder how long the rubber turbo seals will last soaked in mr muscle! !!

My thoughts exactly, if that stuff burns the hell out of carbon deposits- not to mention the stuff it can get out of your ovan, i dread to think what happens to the rubber seals! dont think il be doing it.

there is nothing in the exhaust side of the turbo that can be attacked by the mr muscle chemicles, there is a thread on tdi club that has a letter from garrett themselves which states this.

Yes, just don't turn the turbo when you have the pipe in there!
The stuff foams up very well, so a bit of card or similar to blank off the outlet is needed. Squirt the cleaner in, remove pipe and stick your card or plate over the outlet. I spun the turbine backwards, by hand via the inlet, to help distribute it around the hot section. Operate the actuator every now and then, you will feel the restrictions break up. It took two goes at mine to fix it fully. Don't worry about getting the stuff in the exhaust, it'll burn off. There are dire warnings about the effect on aluminium, but to be honest, unless you are leaving it for days, I wouldn't get too hung up on it.
I think the Evilscotsman has saved quite a few people a lot of cash with this one!:beerchug:

thanks for the positive comments guys !!!! i read the original B5 thread many times before i decided to do mine even though i never had any issues what so ever..... just for piece of mind when buying a second hand car with 120,000 on the clock who knows how it's been looked after and either way if it has the fault or doesnt at present.. hopefully this will save me and many others from a ££££ cost of renewing the turbo im all up for having a go at anythink if it's proven to improve the cars running..... people may think like me there A4 is running fine but after the dirt and contamination deposits that came out the exhaust on road test was truly amazing...now the loud sucking noise as dissapeared when driving steady when changing gears, where before it seemed to have a sucking/recirc dump valve noise...
As stated on my original post WOW amazing differnce if you got a hint of knowledge in spanners then give it a go... thats if you want your turbo to work to the best of its ability.. and not be stalled by crud

Ermm.....tempted to do this on my 2.5 :think:

Had a quick lookie today but I have a few Q's - Does the EGR valve have to be removed to gain access to the lower bolt on exhaust inlet ? - Do you have to remove ALL the outlets in order to prevent possible damage ?
Anyone actually done this recentley on their 2.5, if so how did it go & how would you rate the outcome ?

Question time over :lmfao:

I'd love to do this on my car, but I'm too worried about sticking it down the wrong pipe & ruining my engine!

you cant really go wrong on a 1.9tdi m8 its very straight forward and easy the mechanical work shouldnt take no more the 30-40 mins to do this job but i left the mr muscle for an hour to work before i started it up and gave it some abuse.... so for a few hours start to finish and take care with your skin eyes etc its well easy to do...... DO IT BENJIE YOU KNOW YOU WANNA LMAO....

I've read that people 'move the vanes' while the foam is applied. How do I do this please? I can't see anything to move.

BTW I'm gonna blank the egr valve after doing it. Any problems with that?

I'd love to do this on my car, but I'm too worried about sticking it down the wrong pipe & ruining my engine!

you cant really go wrong on a 1.9tdi m8 its very straight forward and easy the mechanical work shouldnt take no more the 30-40 mins to do this job but i left the mr muscle for an hour to work before i started it up and gave it some abuse.... so for a few hours start to finish and take care with your skin eyes etc its well easy to do...... DO IT BENJIE YOU KNOW YOU WANNA LMAO....

Haha, wanna come and help me?!!

i gave this a try today also sprayed the maf with electrical cleaner for good measure, noticed no difference at all in performance or response, there also was no black clouds coming from my exhausts when i floored it.
maybe my turbo was already very clean.

WOW! white.akita....my 2.5tdi is on 172K so (like you) I expected it would be sooted up. Has yours had an exchange turbo? I get some whistle but I kinda like that! I wondered if the flat spot between 1850rpm - 2000rpm might be solved by oven cleaner but I think a remap is the only way to solve this natural characteristic of the engine. Let us know if there's any difference after a few hundred miles wont you mate.

I dont know if its had the turbo replaced previously because i have only owned the car for around 2 month. Im keeping this car and would love to get it to 300,000 miles.

just done it to my 2.5 now, AKE Engine, i removed the turbo heatshield and then undid the exhaust from the turbo, fashoned a delivery pipe and went for it, i squirted it until it foamed out of the blades, then spun them for a bit. i also used a mityvac and moved the actuator a few times. Now my turbo wasnt suffering from major problems apart from an occcasional hesitation when coming on boost but thought i would try it anyway.I left it for an hour then bolted the exhaust back on and went for a blast. I cant say i saw any real black from the exhaust but i would say that the hesitation has gone and it is deffinately providing an enhansed boost power. very happy and there was not a problem with any of the mess getting into the engine, everything was as normal.

Is this a service you'll be offering to 2.5 drivers at ADI for a nominal sum?

to be honest guys think my car as just been tinkered back and forth to the local shops etc... it's very clean whilst driving with hardly any smoke seen but after mr muscle it totally filled the main road i blasted it down but it was above 3.500 rpm every gear like i read in b5 post hehe all great now again with no smokie lol cleared within a few mins

Guys,

It sounds like honey to my ears. I have a B7 2.) Tdi and I get limp, flat spot between 1600 rpm and 2000 rpm.

I am an absolute noob so I would really appreciate any tutorial on this. I have no idea where to look!

Could somebody help me?

Thanks !

Just a quick follow up, I cant be more pleased with the outcome, my car has during my ownership never had this much power and response and has rekindled the enthusiastic driving spirit. It now has what i would expect from 180hp. I kind of always new that sticky vanes was the issue but couldnt face removing the turbo and sending it off. I am well chuffed and all for 3 quid:rockwoot:

Did this myself yesterday & would agree with the above. As mentioned, no real plumes of black smoke when booted but the turbo deffinatley spools much quicker & at lower revs.
Being cautious, I only applied a very small amount of 'Mr Muscle' so I will be doing this again on Sunday to clean it fully. TOP TIP - use the nossle off a can of WD40 with the application straw applied & fix this to the can of Muscle, makes application very easy :thumbsup:

Gutted! I really want to do this but have to admit to being a bit crap/nervous. If anyone wants to relieve me of some cash I'd be happy to sign a disclaimer! Seriously!

Finally got the bottom nut off the exhaust outlet!! I'm not using Mr muscle as I did buy the Innotec product a little while ago so I may aswell use it. I have put the contents in and I'm now waiting so I will update real time as to how it goes! Off on a 300 mile trip tomorrow so I'm looking forward to it!
My car is a 2.5tdi 180 on a 2003 plate with just over 100K on the clock.

I have just been out for a 40 mile drive and can certainly see a difference in performance and throttle response! I still have the louder than normal air rush sound on a light throttle but the vibration sort of noise I used to get around 2000rpm has gone and the turbo feels to spin way quicker and smoother.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results and it was worth the effort! If I had seen this post prior to getting the Innotec product I would have done as th eOP did and saved a few quid!

Last edited:
i got plenty of smoke lmao but then again 4000rpm every gear which its never had probably woke them spiders up from from silencer !!! i filled mine up until it came out the top !! so a fair bit then left it 1 hr before refitting everythink and road test

Righto....some advice needed as I think i'm missing something. I've disconnected the exhaust from the turbo but there's hardly any movement to see into the actual turbo and where I might squirt the Mr Muscle. The pic shows about 10 mm gap. Is this as far as you guys have got before feeding a tube into the turbo? If so how much tube do you feed in? Also the gasket between the two parts looks pretty goosed and i'd like to replace it but as I cant get the exhaust side off any further there's not much hope of getting a new one on!
010.jpg

it does come over the bolts and will move slighly further out the way, well it did for me. i used a straw from the old wd40 can. it does go between the blades. i poked it in at the top but due to how the blades sit it sort of comes back towards you. poke it in as foar as it willgo as thats where the vnt mechanism is. I squirted untill th foam started to come back through the blades then spun them and moved the actuator a fe times. After a short while the foam starts to dissapear so repeated the process to a total of 3 times(although this may vary due to the level of soot in there) left it all for aan hour then bolted back up and went for a blast.

could always take the whole Turbo off and give it a clean that way but that's long, Lucky for me Iv got a spare Turbo that i took off a car I broke a few years ago sat in the box of tricks i keep for a raining day, the 2.5 are famous for burning Turbo's out so that wont be too long them, Im onto my 3rd one now,

Use the WD40 can trick but get a big can as the small cans come with small straws, the exhaust will move more than that with a bit of help from a long think screwdriver or bar of some sort,