WOW !!!!! MR MUSCLE TURBO CLEANNING

Cheers Swarcup. So i'll try and lever it out a bit further then. I will have a crack on Saturday. Did you stick some sort of cover across the opening when you left it for an hour? Also did you bother replacing the gasket or is that my OCD making an appearance?

Thanks Turkster but I think taking a heat shield off and disconnecting the exhaust is the limit of my spanner ability so taking a turbo off and getting it back on without much swearing, leftover parts, smashed up fingers and a divorce is unlikely!.....I doff my cap to you lot on here. Wish I could do more of my own stuff

Easy when you know how eh chaps! Did mine this morning, very straightforward....just don't get any Mr Muscle on your skin.....****** hurts! Anyway, following the advice of forum members on here I've just been for an initial 15 mile test run and the results were absolutely no black smoke/soot, much faster spooling turbo and quicker response.:salute:
Another bonus is that the missus has been kept quiet for an hour cleaning the oven with what was left in the can;)
Thanks everyone

Reactions: white.akita
Ok, my first attempt resulted in a failure.

Here is what I did:

1- got the airhose off
2- undid the air filter box and removed the cover to have access to the EGR exhaust side connected to the turbo's hot side.
3- removed the 2 bolts but the tube didn't move out of the way to have a clear access to the turbo's hot side.

Tried to have access from the exhaust pipe side of the turbo's hot side but I could not get access to all 3 bolts.

I could not have access to the hot-side basically.
What else do I need to remove to get that EGR tube out of the way?

I have an A4 2.0 Tdi BLB.

Thanks for your help!

me neither sorry !!! will try and have a look at my bro's vw jetta

thanks guys, it is soooo frustrating. I know I am very close !!!! maybe I should try from below instead of from the engine bay.

If I try to undo the EGR exhaust tube to the turbo (2 bolts), the screw are too long and I cannot get enough gap to put the tube in.

If I try to undo the exhaust pipe side of the turbo (3 bolts), I cannot loose things because the EGR system is on the way so it is very difficult to get to.

Damn it is frustrating!!!!!

Really pleased with my results. Only problem is that my MPG has dropped by 4 coz I'm now driving differently!
Does anyone envisage any problems repeating the procedure regularly (every 10k perhaps).

tried again this weekend and I have no idea where the tube went. Is it normal that I cannot go passed 80 mph on a 2.0 tdi ?!

Guys, tried this today and not sure how successful it was, had already removed my egr valve and cleaned that earlier this year so thought I would try this as well....

Bought 1metre of 3mm tubing off e-bay and fed it into the whole, about half of it went in...
One can of Mr Muscle, with the nozzle replaced by one off of a can of WD40 with the pipe attachment...
Put nozzle from can of Mr Muscle into end of tube, pressed down and had 90% of foam come straight back out the top of the tubing....

Removed tubing and tested to make sure it was going all the way through, it was, but not in huge volumes, most of the Mr Muscle was coming back out the top.....

Perservered and put tube back in, ended up using about half a tin of Mr Muscle, didn't notice at any point it foaming out of exhaust manifold so completely unsure as to whether any actually reached the turbo, left it for 2 hours and then went for a drive, got a dump of soot on the road surface at start up, no clouds of the stuff as widely reported, haven't noticed a huge difference in performance....

Have I actually done this right? should I use larger diameter tubing to actually get the stuff into the turbo area?

Cheers for any help in advance....

sounds like you got it m8 and as for the no soot whilst driving off ???? well i jumped in mine and drove off and caned it so that may well be the difference if you revd yours stationary 1st.... and it was stone cold

marktdisport,

started up and drove until engine was warm (70 degrees) and then thrashed it for a good 10-15 miles, 3-4000rpm in every gear....

would never cane it until engine warm for fear of doing damage to something, and still not sure whether I actually got enough of the product into the turbo area...

anyone with a 1.9 disconnected the exhaust the same way the 2.5 owners have? is this easier? certainly would guarantee you get enough product in....

I'd be inclined to do it at the exhaust end as there's less chance of getting it in the wrong places.

good qoute especially if your not the best with the old mukanik skills and being 100% sure

I find it easier to do it the way it says, takes about 5minutes to strip it all down and your ready to go, I always use a torch to make sure the pipe has gone down into the turbo and then push it down as far as I can, I find that twisting the pipe as well as pushing will help it to go all the way down into the turbo, then fill with mr muscle a little bit at a time, then when you see the foam appear into the exhaust manifold stop there.

Leave it to do its thing for about 30minutes, then work the actuator up and down for a good 5 minutes, leave again 30 minutes and do the same again, repeat that over 2 hours.

Just done this and got a question.
It was difficult to see if it actually went down or to the right...
Too a while for the foam to come out the top

2nd question is did i use the right mr muscles..
Will post a pic of the tin later :)

Use a torch to make sure it goes down into the turbo and ye it does take awhile to fill before it comes back out the top.

Cheers Jack

I also blanked of the EGR
Engine management light has come on though..
Going to look through posts for a fix for this. I hope their is one...

Am from consett mate, would of gave you a hand but work commitments won't allow it for a good couple if weeks, where in Durham are you from?

I have a hint when doing the Mr Muscles cleaning..

Dont drop the allen key !!!

EGR blank is coming out next week, my MPG has dipped

I have a hint when doing the Mr Muscles cleaning..

Dont drop the allen key !!!

EGR blank is coming out next week, my MPG has dipped

Thats the first person ive heard say the MPG has dropped m8 how much has it gone down !!! was going to order me some blanking plates but im unsure i want to now......lol

I've blanked my Egr off, MPG has stayed around the same, got no CEL with mine though, some seem to get it and some don't.

Thats the first person ive heard say the MPG has dropped m8 how much has it gone down !!! was going to order me some blanking plates but im unsure i want to now......lol

I used to get 350 ish out of £50
Now 320 ish

Going to take the plate out and see if its that or if the Mr muscles has made the Turbo work more...

I agree i hadnt heard anyone say this before

(have also changed my headlight bulbs, doubt its that though :whistle2: )

I'm from ferryhill and would fancy doing this but don't have the balls just incase I get it wrong,some help would be great.

Cheers mate thanks very much.did make much difference to your car after been.

you will feel improvment's only if your car is well carbon'd up in the first place i.e if you dont do motorway driving etc...

Good Evening Mark & Everyone,

I want to do this, BUT before I go ahead, want to make sure I'm going about the right way, hopefully this will also benefit other B6'ers. I'm mainly worried about Mr Muscle going into engine (my misunderstanding most likely), via the turbo, turbo pipe connecting to Crank Case Ventilation (Am I dead wrong-Oil Pipe?). I'm sorry for the lack of knowledge, but I'm learning, I plucked up the courage to clean up the EGR Valve, the eventually after 3 months, the Intake Manifold. :thumbsup: I know my vanes need cleaning as its sticking and dumping me into limp mode, & I've done a VAG-Com scan, which has given me a fault code indicating underboost, I've checked the N75, which is fine. Hose pipes, which I know go to the intercooler, no leaks as far as I am aware. :think:

Bah Humbug, I'm not allowed to images for the world to see my beatiful engine :sign_pics:

Last edited: