OEM AVANT ROOF BARS.

ADC74

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase some cycle carriers to fit onto my OEM roof bars, but before I buy a set I need to know the following -
- What is the max amount of carriers that can be fitted safely to an A4 B6 AVANT ?
( looking to fit 4 in total )
- When using the 'T-Track' system do the rubber strips get removed totally or do they get cut into sections to accommodate each individual bike carrier ?

Does anyone have any experience regarding the above, do's & dont's etc, any advice would be appreciated :thumbsup:

I've just bought a Thule 532 to fit on my Audi Original bars and it's great. I 'think' the max load is 70kg for the bars, but more restricting would be the width. Mine's a single carrier, you 'might' get a couple of doubles on there for 4 bikes, I'm not sure, you'd need to measure the carriers.

I cut my rubber strip, almost 3/4 vs 1/4 so it fits either side of the carrier. If you had two doubles then you'd just need to cut to fit. The only issue is if you ever run the bars without the carriers then you'd have to fit the little bits of rubber strip back in! Unless you can buy new strips?

The T-bolts are great, they hold it super rigid. I'm a member of a bike bike forum, and have heard a few reports of the top of the range Thule 591 losing bikes, so saved a fortune and bought the next model down. Would thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks for that James !
Another query I have is regarding the 'T bolts' - when fitted, what stops your everyday thief from popping off the end caps on the bars & then just sliding your bike, with carrier & T bolts off your car in one swift action ?
In other words, how do the carriers lock to the roof bars ?

The carrier locks to the roof bars, in a similar way that the carrier locks to the bike frame. Thule do locks for the Aero bars which lock the end caps on so would prevent you sliding the carrier off also.

None of these locks are very strong though, I never leave the bike on the roof of the car when it's not in sight.

Ended up ordering x3 Mont Blanc Scott carriers, I was going to go for 4 but I'll fit the 3 first & check how much available SAFE room is left on the roof.

I think i'm probably gonna get the thule carrier James. Where did you get them from? I need some roof storage for the bike. Do you also have OEM bars, the dodgy bars I have have no locking and are originally for a B5 A4, so don't fit brilliantly.

Last edited:
I have oem bars yes, I'm not sure if they're the same as the A4 Thule bars, but they're certainly very similar to the Thule ones I had on my previous cars.

These are what I bought, there's numerous options available and I think they're very good.

thule 532 | eBay

I have the OEM AUDI A4 Avant roof bars...and I use Mont Blanc manufactured Audi Cycle carriers....they work great with our Claude Butler hybrids.....
The ONE problem I have with the Audi OEM roof bars is that they cannot be locked...you are reliant on a Torx screw at either end of teh roof bar to keep them from being nicked, which in this day & age I don't think is quite good enough. Its all to easy to steal the cycle carriers as well..
I have to lock each cycle carrier & roof bar to the cars roof rails using another pair of bike locks......

Thule do locking ends for their Aero bars, they look VERY similar to oem Audi bars, it would be interesting to see if they would be compatible.

31J7%2BIdZZqL.jpg