HELP !!! tdi tuning box

Right hopefully I can help here.
When I decided to fit one to the Mrs's A3, I had a good look round. I found there was 2 types. 1 that fitted to the fuel temp sensor (iirc) and 1 that fitted to the engine loom.
The ones that fit to the temp sensor has a connector like the one you posted.

The ones you want come with a round connector going into the fuel injection system.

ok thanks m8 im toying with having it mapped but like the theoretical way this works simple fit and remove and a fraction of the price

A work mates got one of these on his brand new ford fiesta diesel, says it makes the car perform much better, he also previously had another one on a peugeot 207 diesel HDI and said that it was a big difference on that,, better fuel economy too. only downside on the pug was that when not on boost you could see little amounts of black smoke (overfuelling?) but on the fiesta nothing...

Was/am looking at getting the one you actually posted actually, obviously the gains aren't going to be as good as a remap but for the fraction of the price it is tempting. if you do go for the box please keep us informed.

Subscribed

ive not got any m8 but im going for a proper remap before xmas

Which remap are you going for and why?
Rolling road?

Ive got the 130 1.9 and looking for a remap

Tried a T-box (from HH-Technix)

Smoked a lot and seemed to run noisier and judder on tickover

DTUK (Diesel Tuning UK) are worth a look and their products are very good.

Have a look on their website but you can usually get a decent discount if you buy via e-Bay.

I ran one of these on my old 2006 Astra SRI CDTi 150 for a year and 12,000 miles without any issues (other than the car being rubbish). All tuning boxes are pretty severe on the mechanicals of the car (drivetrain, clutch etc.) and so its best to set them up for optimum performance and not just max power.

Power gains are generally pretty good and you will nearly always get a little more smoke from the exhaust. Modern cars with diesel particulate filters will give less.

The thing is that the extra fuel that is burnt can soot the engine up a lot quicker and so its best to consider getting an EGR bypass kit fitted before you go down the tuning box/remap route.

I wouldn't believe the flannel you are told about better economy from tuning boxes though. I can honestly say that I never achieved better economy at all, even though the 'box fooled the onboard computer into telling me that I was getting 4-5mpg more. With this said though, economy didn't seem to be any worse.

J

I've had experience with the 2 in the past on my Old Bora tdi 115.

I first got a tuning box fitted to it and it was just like a maximum setting to it, the power was in very early and aggressive but ran out of steam pretty early on in the rev range, it also produced a fair bit of smoke.

I then had it removed and had the car remapped for £200, the power didn't come in as strong but it lasted through the whole rev range and was much better to drive having more power in the mid-range which was loads better for overtaking.

Since that I've always had my cars remapped and the one i've got now is remapped and apart from the problem of having no power untill 2k (but thats always been like it on the car) the power after is very good, pulls all the way round and the mid range torque is great.

thanks jack im also gunna get a full remap instead of the box for the said reasons.... my subaru cost me ££££ to have mapped infact a total of 9 times in 3 years ownership..... ive looked at many mappers etc but when i book it in im having mine done at midland vw in cannock, as they service my car anyhows, they use custom code maps and my brother got a 140tdi jetta mapped and tbh its a weapon now at around 180bhp, power is awsome and smoke's many cars in its path for a diesel......

I've had experience with the 2 in the past on my Old Bora tdi 115.

I first got a tuning box fitted to it and it was just like a maximum setting to it, the power was in very early and aggressive but ran out of steam pretty early on in the rev range, it also produced a fair bit of smoke.

I then had it removed and had the car remapped for £200, the power didn't come in as strong but it lasted through the whole rev range and was much better to drive having more power in the mid-range which was loads better for overtaking.

Since that I've always had my cars remapped and the one i've got now is remapped and apart from the problem of having no power untill 2k (but thats always been like it on the car) the power after is very good, pulls all the way round and the mid range torque is great.

Which remap did you go for?
I hear its best to go for one that done on a rolling road

Mine wasn't rolling roaded but going for one soon to see the power and torque curves etc.

I first had a map put on that the lad already had on his laptop, which was not so much bottom end but came into play mid-top end of the rev range, I didn't like it so had it changed to another one, which was all bottom end and no top end, I then had it changed again lol to a smooth curve all the way through the rev range, I'm now pretty happy with it and makes the car alot more driveable.

It usually depends on your budget.

Many places will provide a generic remap designed for the type of engine for a certain fee (usually £200-£400). This map is a standard program designed for use on all engines of that type and will usually work well. However, as each individual engine can be slightly different out of the factory and also because every engine can wear differently due to use etc, you may not get absolute optimum performance from a remap of this kind.

Also, as these standard remaps are usually set up for a completely standard car, if you have already carried out some mods to the engine beforehand, a standard remap will not be suitable.

The way to get absolute optimum performance for your particular car's engine is to have a remap tailored to you by the supplier.

This usually involves a rolling road and a full diagnostic run being done on the car to start with to find out exactly how the engine is running and then, depending on your requirements, a remap is tailored for your needs.

As you can imagine, because this generally takes a lot longer and involves more work, the cost is usually much more (circa £500+).

However, if you can afford it, the results are usually much better.

J

It usually depends on your budget.

Many places will provide a generic remap designed for the type of engine for a certain fee (usually £200-£400). This map is a standard program designed for use on all engines of that type and will usually work well. However, as each individual engine can be slightly different out of the factory and also because every engine can wear differently due to use etc, you may not get absolute optimum performance from a remap of this kind.

Also, as these standard remaps are usually set up for a completely standard car, if you have already carried out some mods to the engine beforehand, a standard remap will not be suitable.

The way to get absolute optimum performance for your particular car's engine is to have a remap tailored to you by the supplier.

This usually involves a rolling road and a full diagnostic run being done on the car to start with to find out exactly how the engine is running and then, depending on your requirements, a remap is tailored for your needs.

As you can imagine, because this generally takes a lot longer and involves more work, the cost is usually much more (circa £500+).

However, if you can afford it, the results are usually much better.

J

Thanks for that J

I have heard of bulk bookings arranged on here for remaps at £150
But i dont think these are rolling road remaps

I might see if a place with rolling road remaps might be up for a bulk session :)

Any takers in South Yorkshire area?