Nearly ****** engine... new belts?

neilA4

Reaction score
Well the top rad hose came off whilst driving, did not realise until I could smell burning rubber and then the engine became hard to rev with no power through the revs.

Turned engine off, let it cool down and refilled the coolant. Tried after 20 min or so just filling slowly and the water just turned to steam so left it for a bit longer! Good news is it starts and seems to run ok.

Do you think the timing belt could be damaged due to the extreame heat? I have just changed the belts for new contitech which state temps up to 140c. The belts are not even a month old!

The engine was very very very hot, maybee due to the new belt it is still running lol?

What do ya think?

2.5 TDI AKE engine

just had a thought, I put a recon audi waterpump on at same time (plastic impellar). Wonder if this has gone as that would explain the burning rubber smell lol.

After refilling coolant and driving home the rubber smell had returned. Funnily enough I had a 1.8t that the plastic water pump impellar blew up on and that blew the top rad hose too! Just lucky that the 1.8t was aux belt drven not timing belt!

Better order me a timing belt and pump belt and water pump.

Are the kwp water pumps metal impellars?

Cheers

well stripped it down today,water pump seems fine, rollers fine just got to check thermostat.

Gonna change thermostat/cambelt/pump belt/oil/coolant and put a kwp metal impellar water pump in anyway for peace of mind. God knows what the heat has done to the audi plastic impellar.

could prob of just got away with refilling coolant tbh but knowing my luck something else would of broken after lol

If the engine got really hot, you are most likely to get odd burning smells, all you can do is check all rubber hoses and pipes carefully for any distortion and damage. You are prob doing the right thing in changing the belts, not worth the risk of it breaking. The plastic impellers are ok in my opinion, most vw genuine ones are still plastic, I find they tend to go with high mileage or when they have not been replaced when the cambelt was done ( my personal experience). Im not sure about kwp pumps, if you get one from gsf , i think they sell metal impeller ones.

Well just tested the thermostat and it opens, not as much as the new one opens but still wouldn't cause a hose to pop off.

Must have just beed a dodgy connection, don't think the engine can move about enough to pop the hose off? I've put a new snub mount in but am getting a vcds error for one of the hydro-mounts?

Not sure I trust the plastic impellar after a super-heating may have made the plastic brittle?

Ah well just got to put belts/pump/termostat on now and change the oil.

cheers