A few questions for you A4 enthusiats :)

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
Hi all, iv got a 1.8t A3 8l and im Looking at upgrading when i reach the magic 25 :) I was going to spend a few quid on my a3 but its abit of an old car now and i fancy somthing newer, a cupra r has crossed my mind but its still a boys car, how easy is it to fit the new shape front end on the A4 and would it be a massive mistake to buy a fwd over the quattro? Thanks for all help and suggestion.

Yeh dude thats exactly what i mean, im thinking of buying a front end repair jobby and doing the conversion strait away. So im thinking a 1.8t but im open to opinions as im only really familiar with that and my brother had a 3.0 quattro A6 that ate oil by the barrel. Iv got 8 months to save and i was gonna spend 4-5k on a cupra r and iv noticed the A4 has dropped dramaticly on the 2nd hand market. Cheers for the reply.

i had a 3.0 quattro and it used no oil whatsoever but had a bit of a drink problem in fact fuel consumption was not really any better than my s4!

If your looking for a 1.8T then i would say definately get the 1.8T 190 either in sport or s-line spec, and if you can find one get the quattro they are a bit more to service but you can get big power out of them and they can put it down, i have a fwd and mine is at its limit now

i had a 3.0 quattro and it used no oil whatsoever but had a bit of a drink problem in fact fuel consumption was not really any better than my s4!

Yes the fuel consumption was about 15mpg due to my bros slightly heavy foot,but it had 140odd k on the clock so was probly to be expected.

If your looking for a 1.8T then i would say definately get the 1.8T 190 either in sport or s-line spec, and if you can find one get the quattro they are a bit more to service but you can get big power out of them and they can put it down, i have a fwd and mine is at its limit now

Idealy mate id love the quattro and if iv got the right amout of car tokens then thats what ill go for. I dont know much about the deisel any opinoins on them? And as tuning the a4 1.8t, i suppose its pretty much the same as the a3 1.8t. Im not power mad but i think every car should have 200bhp+ lol. Thanks for the tips.

Yep pretty much the same mate, the 190's do well with a stage 1 remap, you should be getting about 210bhp, then if you want more stage 2 will get you to around 230bhp but thats with high flow cat, exhaust, and panel filter. The 190s have dual side mounted intercoolers so you dont need to bother with a front mount thats what i have done to mine but its fwd so cant really do any more. Awesome gti had a 190 quattro avant that had 330bhp i think but that had mega money spent on it. The price has come down alot now i bought mine when it was 3 yrs old for 11k, now you can pick them up for less than 5k, they are stunning cars, fast, nice to drive and if you dont boot it everywhere are good on fuel.

If your buying one just make sure it has good service history and is not on audi longlife service, these engines need the oil changing every 5k or twice a year, look for sludge or black deposits under the filler cap and also make sure the timing belt and water pump have been changed, thats a £400 job at audi..

Thanks pabs, im pretty good at spotting a dog but iv also been known to fall in love with a car at first sight lol. 210bhp is plenty for me as i like to put my foot down but live in the city so wouldnt get much advantage of an insainly tuned audi. Iv always wanted an A4 and now there so cheap im definetly having one as its just a more prestige looking motor with the same performance potential as the cupra r. I wouldnt count a deisel out of the question but iv heard the 1.9tdi is a more reliable beast than the 2.0tdi? Thanks agen to all.

Following the snow we had last year, I really really regretted not getting a quattro. Don't know about anyone else but my fwd A4 was absolutely diabolical in the white stuff. Driving into my estate i turned the wheel to turn left into my road and just sailed past it, then I couldn't reverse up, so I went further on and turned around, then couldn't get back up the very very teeny weeny slope. Got a tow by an L200 after about 45 minutes lol. I'll have another year out of this one and then I think the next one will be a quattro.