JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    wax on, wax off

Status

last shot before I sell it..

I've had this problem with my car since I bought it and it is doing my head in. The car shows no codes on vagcom and has had new DMF and clutch, injector loom, egr and manifold cleaned and a new MAF, and a new coolant temp sensor. Here's what it does.

In a morning, (weather mild like it is now) it starts first time and drives great, responsive etc. I drive 30 miles to work and when I get there and stop outside the car wobbles at idle, but this will stop if I put all the lights on (fogs, front fogs, the lot).

I work an 8 hour shift and on the way home there is a vibrating noise between 2000rpm and 2100rpm. Doesn't do it in 1st-3rd gear but gets noisy in fourth or fifth, and the car is no where near as responsive as it is in the morning. It doesn't do it if i accelerate hard past 2000rpm through the gears. Its is very noticeable at bang on 70mph in fifth. Now when I get off the motorway approx 8 miles from home I always have to stop at the end of the slip road. When I set off again the noise has all but gone and there's an urgency in the car that wasnt there when I left work. I can also feel a vibrating through the accelerator pedal most days, but again, not in the morning, only after the car has got warm then cooled down. The noise is hard to locate as it only does it on the move under load, but it seems to start at the front of the car and carry to the back? If i go to 80 (on a private road of course) the noise is almost non existent but if i lift off, the noise get worse as the revs approach the 2100 rpm mark, then gets loud at 2000rpm, then stops when the needle dips under 2000rpm. the car has only done 77k miles (had done 52k when i bought it and it had this problem).

On sub zero mornings, the car turns and fires first time but struggles to hold revs for about 10 seconds. I also have a bit of off white smoke, but not when the weather is warm (above zero). I only mention this in case it is related.

I have no smoke, no whistling noises, no loss of MPG, no fault codes of any kind and injectors are within tolerance. I have had the engine and gear mounts checked and they are OK. The engine does rock quite a bit when warm but again, is rock steady if i turn all the lights on. Its also had copious amounts of injector cleaner fired through it. The wobble remains with the clutch depressed so dont think its DMF even though its a new one.

Any ideas appreciated. This is the last shot at getting it right before it goes.
    A4 B6 1.9 tdi 130. Slowly modding but don't tell the missus.
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    This doesn't add up with all your symptoms, but have you changed the alternator clutch?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

wax on, wax off

Status
    I've had it into a couple of garages who couldn't find why it was wobbling. Is there a way I can tell it's faulty?
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I'm no expert on it, but I think you can test for free play with a screwdriver, and also watch the belt as it spins on the pulley and see how smooth it's rotating.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

wax on, wax off

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    I'm no expert on it, but I think you can test for free play with a screwdriver, and also watch the belt as it spins on the pulley and see how smooth it's rotating.
    the belt looks smooth, there are no signs of off centre rotation or anything.
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.

2nd Gear

Status
    Are you getting fuel through with no air in it ?I had a blockage in the unit that picksup the fuel out of the tank and the engine would wobble as it starved of fuel and vibrate was east to clean out there was plastic in mine restricting the flow no garages could find that fault either.

Hope the people that took me DIE

5th Gear

Status
    i wonder if it's a possible injector fault or fuel pump, injector seals or somethink that could cause it to run lumpy

6th Gear

Status
    Does it squeal like a ***** on full lock?
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

wax on, wax off

Status
    no its quiet
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.

6th Gear

Status
    Hmm if it's noisy it can be a sign of the alternator clutch being faulty.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

wax on, wax off

Status
    little development today. the car started wobbling when i arrived at work so i popped the bonnet and the engine was rocking from side to side but seemed to dip worse at the turbo side. you could see the turbo and actuator dipping diagonally.the pipe from the coolant to the engine was vibrating rapidly and there's a good 2-3 cm of movement.it looks like a mount has gone/going but i thought this would throw a code?
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.

6th Gear

Status
    not really only one has a sensor so if the otheres have gone it would not show at all

wax on, wax off

Status
    Bit of a new development. I was checking my oil this morning and found i could push the engine from side to side quite a lot. I guess the mounts need looking at again but would this affect performance? I know one mount is hydraulic and it looks like its collapsed on itself. like a squashed tennnis ball.
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.