Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

S4 mirrors stolen - £1183.46 to replace from main dealer!!

So - I got up this morning to find my S4 mirrors -err nowhere to be found :-(

Police have someone in custody that did over 5 cars not 400 yards from my house but he'd already stashed his loot - so I'm still down two mirrors.

I called Audi to see how much and nearly had heart failure - £1183.46 to replace my Ally bodied, heated and anti glare mirrors.

Trawling eBay only showed the caps, and some nasty knock offs - the glass alone for the anti glare mirrors turns out to be £200 a side - my excess is only £150 so I'm off down the insurance route.

Now - the point of this thread, I've heard of these mirrors being stolen before - even heard of some really unlucky sods getting done twice. I'm thinking that when the mirrors are replaced for OEM ally ones that I'll get them vinyl wrapped in black (to match the car) such that they don't look special - and hopefully don't get ripped off again.

I was tempted to get these replaced courtesy of the insurance, and then replace the caps with plastic ones / vinyl wrap - what does everyone think?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I think you're bloody unlucky, thats what I think.

BTW if you find out who it was, snap his poxy fingers.
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

No Audi but still here

Status
    Hmm how on earth someone got the mirrors off?
    There is a bolt that holds it from inside and the wire for electrics goes down the door.
    2007 Honda Civic Type R daily. Soon for sale
    1999 Audi A4 1.8TQS - track car project

6th Gear

Status
    Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    jesus bl**dy how much from audi feck!!
    id wait till police release him and folow him then take him to a dark ally and educate him a lil
    My A4 Detailed and finished with Zymol Glasur
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detaili...ol-glasur.html

A4 S-Line SE 220BHp with full Black pack With black badge (rear one still to fit) two tone Leather, Bose, phone prep in centre arm rest, IPOD conection RS4 pedals suede gear knob handbrake and steering wheel R8 oil Cap

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Mirror theft is a rising issue it seems, when I did my mirrors silver I just bought a cheap pair of caps from ebay and sprayed them for this very reason. You could do worse than do this and save yourself a few hundred quid.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Not to rub it in or anything but I was searching for genuine S4 alloy mirrors (was just after the alloy caps really) but managed to finally come across a set of genuine ones with the whole mirror housing, electric motors, and mirror glass, all for a complete steal of £120 for the pair off of someone on eBay! That's my bargain mod to the car.

They do come up but you just have to have patients and be quick when they do come up. I got told the same thing when I was after a set, audi told me they don't actually sell just the alloy cap, it's a complete unit at £500 something odd each, which is obviously the same price they have given you for the pair.

Hope you get it sorted quick mate, thieving scum!!
    B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport

Dolphin Grey I 210 BHP Remap I KW V1 Coilovers I 19"x9.5" all round BBS LM reps I RS4 Anti Roll Bar Kit I S4 Front and Rear Bumpers I Votex side skirts I S4 Aluminium Mirrors I S4 Rear Spoiler I S4 Style Tailpipes I USDM S4 licence plate blank I 6000k HID's I 18 SMD DRL's I Cupra R Splitter I Full RS4 black leather with white stitch optional bucket seat interior I RS4 black headlining I TT S Line FBMFSW I Aluminium Trim I Reverse camera I Full DIS I Cruise Control

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Hi

I have a set of OEM mirrors units, if you want them? they are not S4 but are 100% in working order with the cables, you can just change the outer case to what ever colour you want,

send me a PM if you want to talk more about them,

Paul

Last edited by Turkster; 13th August 2011 at 04:04.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Not to rub it in or anything but I was searching for genuine S4 alloy mirrors (was just after the alloy caps really) but managed to finally come across a set of genuine ones with the whole mirror housing, electric motors, and mirror glass, all for a complete steal of £120 for the pair off of someone on eBay! That's my bargain mod to the car.

They do come up but you just have to have patients and be quick when they do come up. I got told the same thing when I was after a set, audi told me they don't actually sell just the alloy cap, it's a complete unit at £500 something odd each, which is obviously the same price they have given you for the pair.

Hope you get it sorted quick mate, thieving scum!!
    '..............a complete steal.............'

mmmm......... I refer you to post No. 1
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mememe View Post
    '..............a complete steal.............'

mmmm......... I refer you to post No. 1
    Haha! Very good mate!

Dolphin Grey I 210 BHP Remap I KW V1 Coilovers I 19"x9.5" all round BBS LM reps I RS4 Anti Roll Bar Kit I S4 Front and Rear Bumpers I Votex side skirts I S4 Aluminium Mirrors I S4 Rear Spoiler I S4 Style Tailpipes I USDM S4 licence plate blank I 6000k HID's I 18 SMD DRL's I Cupra R Splitter I Full RS4 black leather with white stitch optional bucket seat interior I RS4 black headlining I TT S Line FBMFSW I Aluminium Trim I Reverse camera I Full DIS I Cruise Control

Bazinga!

Status
    This is very common in Glasgow, there's a certain trick to getting the mirrors off and they can be done in a couple of seconds each if you know what you're doing. I'm always paranoid about mine, they're too bloody expensive to replace.

2nd Gear

Status
    I feel for you bud chop there fcuking hands off

Hope the people that took me DIE

3rd Gear

Status
    This has been an issue for years, we used to get this all the time at the dealer I worked at, the reason they are so expensive is because they are aluminium, not cheap to make which is why very few cars/bits are made from this stuff......
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    It has been very common for years as mentioned, over the last 3 and a half years I've owned 2 8L S3's that had the alloy mirror option on them and I was always concerned about having them stolen cos it was always such a common subject in the 8L forum.

The same goes for the e36 M3 mirrors, I've owned 2 of those in the past as well, and all you have to do to get those off is literally yank them off the car and cut the wires, job done in a matter of seconds! My uncle bought 2 extra sets of m3 mirrors to have sat in his spare room just in case his got stolen when he had his e36.